U.S. EV-84 Kingfisher VTOL:
Many people think of the jet fighters and warships when talking about the United States Navy but various other vehicle were just as important. The Kingfisher was one of these unglamourous yet very important parts of the United States Navy. Theses aircraft is the all purpose workhorse of both the Navy and Marine Corp before the coming of the Rifts. The VTOL aircraft had replaced most of the roles of the helicopter before the coming of the Rifts. The Kingfisher is a jet thrust propelled VTOL aircraft and was considered the replacement for the Osprey style VTOL aircraft in military service and is much faster. While it is constructed as a lifting body, it relies mostly on brute force to fly at the speeds it can travel. The Kingfisher was constructed in several models for different roles. These roles were General Utility / Search and Rescue, Submarine Warfare, and as an electronic warfare aircraft. The general utility is a cargo or personnel hauler and often both they and the submarine warfare models were used for Search and Rescue. The New Navy operates about thirty off of their U.S.S. Ticonderoga with 10 General Utility, 10 Submarine Warfare, and 10 Electronic Warfare. These replaced various fighter and attack helicopters listed on the carrier. The design was not particularly classified and was sold to several other nations and was operated off of many smaller carriers. It is possible that some of these may be still operated by locations like the Republic of Japan and its is possible that either designs or actual aircraft were recovered by the Coalition or other powers within North America.
In many ways, this aircraft could be compared to the Post-Rifts Triax Mosquito class Airborne APC. The Kingfisher carries a much lighter weapons load and is a little smaller. As well, it is not capable of Mach speeds like the Mosquito. While it can be chased down by many fighters, it still is fast enough to make a breach for cover in most cases. The aircraft is propelled by powerful fusion turbine engines. There are no none conventional models. The Kingfisher is capable of Nap of the Earth flying for these cases. In most cases, it is expected that Kingfishers will be protected by one or two fighters. The aircraft is well armored because it can be expected for it to have to withstand damage in some cases. Initial drawing for the design had no weapon systems but it was later decided to fit some missiles into the design and door gun mounting were fitted as well. The door gun positions are designed to carry a variety of weapon systems but most common were rail guns although grenade launchers were popular as well. The electronic warfare model does not have provisions to carry door guns. The missiles hard points are designed to carry either short or medium range missiles for use against other aircraft and long range missiles for anti-ship strikes. All versions have a cargo/rescue hook and winch.
The General Utility has a crew of two with space for up to twenty five passengers or twelve tons of cargo internally. The aircraft can also carry six tons of cargo slung underneath. The general utility can also be used assault transport and can carry 16 light or medium power armors in place of the normal passenger load. The Submarine Warfare version has a crew of four with two sensor operator. This version carries a dipping sonar, magnetic detection equipment, and provision to carry eighty sonar buoys. This takes up all of the aircrafts ability to carry passengers or cargo. The wing hard points normally carry torpedoes for use against submarines. The Electronics Warfare version carries powerful radar and sensory equipment including two side mounted phased array radar systems. The aircraft has a crew of six including four sensor operators. While most of the passenger space has been removed, the aircraft is designed to carry an extra officer to act as a commander.
|Model Type:||EV-84A||General Cargo / Search and Rescue|
|Crew:||EV-84A||2 (Pilot and Co-Pilot) but has stations for 2 door-gunners|
|EVS-84A||4 (Pilot, Co-Pilot, 2 Sensor Operators)|
|EVE-84A||6 (Pilot, Co-Pilot, and 4 Sensor Operators)|
|Troops:||EV-84A||25 Normal and 16 in Light or Medium Power Armor|
|EVS-84A||None (Sonar Buoys can be replaced by 8 passengers /12 cramped)|
M.D.C. by Location:
| Wings (2):||250 each|
| Elevators (2):||80 each|
| Rudders (2):||80 each|
|Cargo Bay Doors:||100|
|Side Doors (2):||60 each|
|Phased Array Radar Pods (2, Sides - EVE-84A Only):||400 each|
| Engines (2):||225 each|
| Main Body:||500|
|Landing Gear (3):||40 each|
 Destroying a wing will cause the plane to crash.
 Destruction of rudders or one elevator will still allow the aircraft to be controlled by the varying of power levels of the engines but aircraft has a penalty of -10 to dodge, and a -30% penalty to all piloting rolls. Destruction of both of the elevators will leave the plane uncontrollable and pilot must eject to survive. The destruction of one of the engines will cause the aircraft to crash.
 Depleting the M.D.C. of the main body will shut the aircraft down completely, rendering it useless and causing it to crash if in flight
Driving on Ground (Taxiing): Only possible for take offs and landings as well as for parking and storage. Speed is 40 mph (64 kph) when traveling and not on take off or landing.
Flying: The maximum speed of the aircraft is 704.5 mph (1,133.6 kph) which is just slightly under mach one and has a maximum altitude of 50,000 feet (15,240 m). The aircraft is Vertical Take Off and Landing which allows it to take off virtually anywhere and can hover. The Kingfisher cannot travel over 200 mph (321.9 kph) with an underslung cargo load.
Maximum Effective Range: The cooling system is much better than those on many post rifts aircraft but does have its limitations. The Aircraft can fly up to 36 hours if flying at less than 500 mph (256 kph) and can fly for 10 hours at 500 mph (256 kph) or greater.
Height: 16 feet (4.88 meters)
Width: 48 feet (14.63 meters)
Length: 68 feet (20.73 meters)
Weight: 28 tons (25.4 metric tons) fully loaded.
Cargo: EV-84A: In place of troops, it can carry 12 tons in cargo hold or 6 tons slung underneath. EVS-84A: Normally has little cargo space due to carrying sonar buoys. If they are not carried, a maximum of 6 tons may be carried or 6 tons may slung underneath. EVE-84A: Minimal (Storage for small equipment). Cargo loads do not include external hard points on any of the models.
Power Source: Nuclear, Should have an average life span of 20 years.
Black Market Cost: Not Available on the black market. If available, the General purpose model would be worth around 25 million, the Submarine Warfare Model would be worth around 60 million credits, and the elecrronics warfare version would be worth about 100 million credits due to advanced sensor systems.
- Side Door Gunner Mounts (2): The Kingfisher has two positions
for door gunner. While the railguns are the most popular, Grenade launchers
are sometimes carried for greater damage. These weapon systems are normally
used when trying to protect the aircraft while it is dropping troops. The
doorguns cannot be used if the vehicle is traveling over 100 mph (161 kph)
- USA-M31 Rail Gun (1): This rail gun is carried on C-40R and
is from the original Pre-Rifts SAMAS design. It has fewer bursts and is
heavier but the rail gun inflicts more damage than the C-40R.
Weight: 110 lbs (50 kg) for the Rail gun and 190 lbs (86.2 kg) for the ammo drum.
Maximum Effective Range: 4,000 feet (1,200 meters)
Mega-Damage: A burst of 40 rounds does 1D6x10, a single round does 1D4+1
Rate of Fire: Equal to number of combined hand to hand attacks of the gunner (usually 4-6).
Payload: 2,000 round drum for 50 bursts.
- Automatic Grenade Launcher: The turret has 360 degree rotation
of the turret is possible and the arc of fire for the grenade launcher
barrel is a 60 degree angle. Weapon is similar to have a post Rifts WI-GL21
Automatic Grenade Launcher mounted in a turret but fires a slightly smaller
Maximum Effective Range: 3,000 ft (914 meters)
Mega-Damage: 3D6 for Fragmentation with a blast area of 12 ft and 5D6 for Armor Piercing with a blast area of 3 ft, burst of 10 rounds does 2D4x10 for Fragmentation with a blast area of 40 ft and 2D6x10 for Armor Piercing with a blast area of 8 ft.
Rate of Fire: Equal to combined hand to hand attacks of gunner
Payload: 800 Rounds
- USA-M31 Rail Gun (1): This rail gun is carried on C-40R and is from the original Pre-Rifts SAMAS design. It has fewer bursts and is heavier but the rail gun inflicts more damage than the C-40R.
- Ordnance Hard Points (6): The aircraft has six hard points
with three hard points on each wing. Missiles, rocket packs, and bombs
can be mixed or matched but all ordnance on a hard point must be the same
- Bombs and Missiles: The only restriction is that a hard point
must carry all the same type of missiles or bombs. Both unguided and guided
bombs can be carried. These are often replaced by torpedoes on the EVS-84A
Anti-Submarine Warfare model.
Maximum Effective Range: Varies by missile type for missile type and varies by altitude bombs are dropped at (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.) Torpedoes: 20 miles (32 km) for medium range and 40 miles (64 km) for long range torpedoes.
Mega Damage: Varies by missile, torpedo (See revised Rifts torpedoes for details) or bomb type (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Missiles and Torpedoes can be fired and bombs can be dropped one at a time per hard point. Multiple hard points can be linked as one attack but must be the same size (light, medium, or heavy) and style of ordnance (all missiles, topedoes, or bombs in a volley.)
Payload: One Long Range Missile, Long Range Torpedo or Heavy Bomb per Hard Point. Two Medium Range Missiles / Medium Range Torpedos / Medium Bombs or four Short Range missiles / Light bombs can be substituted for One Long Range Missile/Heavy Bomb.)
- Mini-Missile Pod: Large capacity mini-missile pod. Each pod
requires one Hard Point. The Aircraft normally carries missile pods for
ground strafing, anti-troop, and anti-emplacement attacks. Normal missile
used are armor piercing, plasma, or fragmentation mini-missiles.
Maximum Effective Range: Varies with missile types, mini-missiles only (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Mega Damage: Varies with mini-missile types (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Each pod can fire missiles one at a time or in volleys of two (2), four (4), eight (8), or sixteen (16) mini-missiles and can be linked with other mini-missile pods for greater number of missiles (Counts as one attack no matter how many missiles in volley.)
Payload: Each pod carries sixteen (16) mini-missiles.
- Bombs and Missiles: The only restriction is that a hard point must carry all the same type of missiles or bombs. Both unguided and guided bombs can be carried. These are often replaced by torpedoes on the EVS-84A Anti-Submarine Warfare model.
- Anti-Missile Chaff Dispenser: Located at the very tail of
the aircraft are two chaff dispensers. When tailed by a missile, a cloud
of chaff and other obtrusive particles can be released to confuse or detonate
the enemy's attack. Rifts Earth decoys systems are assumed to not operate
against Phase World missiles due to technological difference. Reduce effects
by 20% against smart missiles (Add +20% to rolls for smart missiles.)
- 01-50 Enemy missile or missile volley detonates in chaff cloud - Missiles
are all destroyed.
51-75 Enemy missile or missile volley loses track of real target and veers away in wrong direction (May lock onto another target.)
76-00 No effect, enemy missile or missile volley is still on target.
Payload: Eight (8)
The aircraft has all the standard features of a standard fighter (same as standard robot including loudspeaker and microphone on this aircraft) plus these special features listed. These are carried on all models except where it is replaced by a better systems
- Internal Active Jamming Gear: Causes -25% to detection but when it is active, other vehicles/ bases can detect that it is jamming, and some missiles will home in on jamming signals. Jamming also causes a -4 penalty to all radar guided weapons.
- E.S.M.: Radar Detector, Passively detects other radars being operated.
- FLIR: Forward Looking Infrared. Allows pilot and weapons officer to get visuals on targets at night.
- Laser Navigational System: Allow flight at low altitude without use of Radar. Gives a map of the Terrain.
Special Equipment for the EVS-4A Anti-Submarine Warfare Model:
- M.A.D. Gear: This is special equipment that has the ability to detect metal objects. M.A.D. stands for Magnetic Anomaly Detector. This is very effective at detecting submarines. Range: 2 miles (3.2 km) to either side of aircraft.
- Dipping Sonar: The sensor includes a passive sonar, active sonar, and an underwater communication unit. The active sonar and communication system can be detected by any vehicle using passive sonar if within their detection range. Sonar can track up to 60 simultaneously and identify up to 30 of them. The sonar equipment has a unit that can be lower into water while hovering or flying up to 30 mph (26 knots/ 48 km) per hour. Range: Passive Sonar: 8 mile (12.8 km) Active Sonar: 12 miles (19.3 km). Underwater Communication: 4 miles (6.4 km)
Special Equipment for the EVE-84A Electronics Warfare Model:
- Airborne Three Dimensional Search Radar System Powerful airborne phased array radar. The incredibly advanced radar and computer system first developed before the coming of the Rifts. Powerful and flexible radar system that is comprised of side panels that each emit radar waves. The system gives 360 degree coverage. If allowed by the horizon, the system can track out to 600 miles (966 km) and can simultaneously track and identify up to 768 targets at one time. The system controls missile launched from other linked vehicles and the system can track and guide each individual missile to a individual target for up to 192 targets. If a target is eliminated, missiles are automatically guided to a new target. The system gives a +10% to read sensory rolls, +2 on initiative, and +1 to strike.
- Advanced Communication Package: Give the aircraft the ability of multi-direction communication of 800 miles (1290 km) as well as direction communication out to 500 miles (800 km) to up to 20 individual targets. The system also has 20 laser/microwave communication systems that are only limited by line of sight (Range of about 100,000 miles / 161,000 km).
[ Altarain TM, Bandito Arms TM, Brodkil TM, Chipwell Armaments TM, Coalition States TM, Cyber-Knight TM, Federation of Magic TM, Free Quebec TM, Golden Age Weaponsmiths TM, Horune TM, Iron Heart Armaments TM, Kankoran TM, Kittani TM, Kydian TM, Larsen’s Brigade TM, M.D.C. TM, Mechanoids TM, Mega-Damage TM, Megaversal Legion TM, Millennium Tree TM, Mutants in Orbit TM, Naruni Enterprises TM, Naut’Yll, New Navy TM, New Sovietskiy TM, NGR TM, Nog Heng TM, Northern Gun TM, Phase World TM, Psyscape TM, Rifter TM, SAMAS TM, S.D.C. TM, Shemarrian TM, Splugorth TM, Stormspire TM, Sunaj TM, Tolkeen TM, Triax TM, Wellington Industries TM, Wilk’s Laser Technologies TM, Xiticix TM, and Zaayr TM are trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Beyond the Supernatural®, Heroes Unlimited®, Nightbane®, Ninjas & Superspies®, Palladium Fantasy®, and Rifts® are registered trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
Writeup by Kitsune (E-Mail Kitsune).
Copyright © 2000 & 2001, Kitsune. All rights reserved.