Revised and Expanded Missile & Bomb Tables
The Net-Book of Ordnance and General Destruction
(Version 2.1 - Last modified: 05/06/98)
Both missiles and bombs have been used in warfare since well before the first World War. Early designs were usually inefficient and often didn't work well. As time passed, both missile and bomb technology grew greatly. By the late twentieth century, it was possible to aim the weapons remotely with accuracies of within less than three meters. Use of inertial, GPS, and other types of navigation later enabled even more precise targeting.
The ability to carry missiles or bombs gives a vehicle a high degree of versatility in the amount and combinations of firepower it can carry into combat. Several special types of missiles can be carried in addition to normal, conventional (general purpose) missiles. These include air-to-air, air-to-ground, and surface-to-air missiles.
In addition to these types, various kinds of warheads can be placed on the different missile types. Warheads can vary from smoke or tear gas to high explosive or even thermonuclear warheads.
Bombs, though not quite as diverse as missiles in type, can also use a multitude of warheads. For their size, bombs can carry a larger payload than comparative missiles.
This netbook is designed to both replace and expand upon the missile table presented in the Rifts® Main Book. The original statistics presented were far from realistic and quite often rediculous. The tables and articles in this netbook are intended to be used for Rifts® Earth. Phase WorldTM and other advanced settings are not covered and would normally have more powerful and advanced weaponry (including perhaps anti-matter and gravity-based weapons).
Below are articles covering the destructive power, ranges, speeds, and other statistics of different types of missiles and bombs available.
- Conventional Missiles: mini-, short-, medium-, long-range, and cruise-missiles.
- Specialty Missiles: air-to-air, air-to-ground, and surface-to-air missiles.
- Special Warheads: cluster, deployable minefields, and more.
- Conventional Bombs: conventional bombs.
- Special Bombs: cluster, deployable minefields, and fuel air explosives.
- Thermonuclear Weapons: thermonuclear missiles and bombs.
- Weapon Guidance: different guidance types and availability.
- Multiple Missile Warheads: rules for treatment for missiles with multiple warheads.
- Nuclear Weapons: an article with detailed data on nuclear weapons.
Conventional Missiles table based off of UN Spacy missile tables by Dave Deitrich.
Palladium Books®, and Rifts®, are registered trademarks owned and licensed by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc.
Mega-DamageTM, S.D.C.TM, Phase WorldTM, and others are trademarks owned and licensed by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books, Inc.