Techno Wizard "Avian" class Frigate (Modified Chinese Type 58):
The Chinese Type 58 Frigate was among the most common of the Pre-Rifts Frigate classes and exported to countries around the world. Many were destroyed but a surprising number survived. Of course with most militaries shattered, many of these fell into private hands. Others were lost for decades until they were found once again.
While many techno-wizards prefer old type designs, some techno-wizards prefer more modern and advanced designs to modify. The Type 58 due to being fairly plentiful is one of the more common classes which is modified by techno-wizards. Some groups have actually made a habit of trying to hunt down these vessels so that they might restore them. So far, it is believed that six have found their way into the hands of techno-wizards. Each one has been give a "Bird" type name including Hawk, Kingfisher, and Wren.
In general, the Type 58 is a pretty capable vessel even after the coming of the Rifts. It is fairly well armored and has decent, if not outstanding, sensor systems. It is well armed for its size with a 76 mm cannon and forty-eight long range missiles. The nuclear power plant gives a good speed, basically thirty-two knots, and virtually unlimited range as well. All of this does not mean that the ship cannot be improved however. Most of the modifications are surprisingly minor though.
Even though surprisingly tough, the addition of a techno-wizard force field makes the ship even more resistant to damage. This shield can be activated up to three times in a twenty-four hour basis. To give the ship additional protection, the ship is has the enchantment of "Impervious to Energy." While many heavy weapons encountered are projectile weapons, a large amount of lighter weaponry are energy weapons. In addition, many missiles and shells are plasma warheads which the field also protects from. A magical "fireworks" chaff and flare system replaces the standard system.
The ship was designed with stealth in mind although the destroyer only has a reduced radar cross signature not the ability to be almost invisible on radar as with several stealth fighter designs. This was fairly easily solved with the enchantment of “Invisibility Superior” This also makes the ship basically impossible to detect using sonar systems while active. The ship carries optics so that the captain and crew can see invisible targets themselves. The various enchantments are supported by a magical energy battery. While crew is not reduced, the ship only really requires a single techno-wizard or other spell caster as part of the crew although more commonly there are at least a couple.
The 76 mm round is too small for the more powerful special enchanted rounds although enchanted torpedoes can be fired from the torpedo tubes. Otherwise, the only modification to the weapon system is with the 30 mm Gatling Cannons. These are replaced by single barrel flack cannon mounts used on the Triax "Hunter" heavy power armor. The fire control had to be slightly reprogrammed to take advantage of the new weapon system. Range is virtually identical but the ability to sustain defensive fire is greatly increased. Most often, this is the captain and/or executive officer of the vessel.
Instead of embarking only four to six “Troll” power armors, the ship more commonly embarks the full compliment of troops in Mystic Power Armor. These require no more room than if they used standard body armor and while not as fast most power armors, they have several advantages as well. The ship does also retain a hanger and various VTOL aircraft can operate from the rear flight deck of the frigate.
Model Type: Tchnow Wizard Modified "Type 59-A Frigate"
Class: Guided Missile Frigate
Crew: 140 total; 10 officers, 12 chief petty officer, 128 enlisted (Ship needs at least one Techno-Wizard or other Spell Caster - More common is two or three spell casters)
Troops: 4 Helicopter Pilots or VTOL Pilots and 40 Troops in Mystic Power Armor
Robots, Power Armors, and Vehicles:
|40||Mystic Power Armors|
|1||Helicopters or other VTOL Aircraft|
M.D.C. by Location:
| Phase Array Radar Panels (4, Superstructure):||180 each|
|3 inch (76.2 mm)/60-cal DP AK-176 (1, Forward):||200|
|HQ-24 8 Cell Vertical Missile Launchers (6, Forward):||120 each|
|"Modified" Type 850 Anti-Missile System (2, Superstructure):||275 each|
|Torpedo Launchers (2, sides):||40 each|
|“Fireworks” Magic Chaff and Flare Dispensers (2, superstructure):||20 each|
|VTOL Pad (Aft):||250|
| Main Body:||1,250|
| Armor of Ithan Force Field (Three Times per Day):||500|
 Destroying Phased Array radar panels will destroy the ship’s fire control systems but guns have backup systems and panels can compensate for each other.
 Destroying the main body causes the ship to lose structural integrity, causing the ship to sink. There are enough life preservers and inflatable life boats to accommodate everyone on the ship.
 As per the spell “Armor of Ithan” - Magic, fire, lightning, and cold all inflict one-half damage. Each activation lasts for 30 minutes.
Surface: 36.8 mph (32 knots/ 59.3 kph)
Range: Unlimited due to fusion engines (needs to refuel every 10 years and requires maintenance as well). Ship carries four months of supplies on board.
Length: 454.4 feet (138.5 meters)
Draft: 19.0 feet (5.8 meters)
Width: 52.5 feet (16.0 meters)
Displacement: 3,850 tons standard and 4,220 tons fully loaded
Cargo: 220.5 tons (200 metric tons) of nonessential equipment and supplies. Each enlisted crew member has a small locker for personal items and uniforms. Ships officers have more space for personal items. Most of the ship’s spaces are taken up by extra ammo, armor, troops, weapons, and engines.
Power System: Nuclear Reactors, average life span is 10 years (Also has a magic P.P.E. magical energy battery)
Market Cost: Extremely rare, if found on the black market would probably cost 150 to 300 million credits.
- One (1) 3 inch (76.2-mm) 59-cal DP AK-176 Naval Gun: The
ship mounts a rapid fire three inch gun mount forward of the superstructure
and missile launchers. This weapon mount is a Russian / Soviet style weapon
mount and is mounted on multiple different classes. The main weaknesses
of the gun are its relatively short range and the fact it cannot use rocket
assisted projectiles. The gun was carried on many ship classes around the
world until well into the twenty first century. The guns can be used against
other ships, ground targets, aircraft, and even missiles. Theses guns were
among the smallest that could use a proximity fuse for their warheads.
Maximum Effective Range: 4.66 miles (4.04 nautical miles/7.5 km) for standard projectiles
Mega-Damage: High Explosive: 1D4x10 M.D.C. with 10 ft (3 m) blast radius per single shot and 3D4x10 M.D.C. with 20 ft (6.1 m) blast radius for three round burst. High Explosive Armor Piercing: 1D6x10 M.D.C. with 4 ft (1.2 m) blast radius per single shot and 3D6x10 M.D.C. with 8 ft (2.4 m) blast radius for three round burst. Plasma: 2D4x10 M.D.C. with 12 ft (3.7 m) blast radius per single shot and 6D4x10 M.D.C. with 25 ft (7.6 m) blast radius for three round burst.
Rate of Fire: Equal to gunners Hand to Hand (Three round bursts count as one attack).
Payload: 300 rounds. Ship normally carries usually carries 100 High Explosive, 100 High Explosive Armor Piercing, and 100 Plasma.
- Two (2) "Modified" Type 850 Combination Anti-Missile Systems:
Originally mounted a seven barrel 30 mm Gatling cannon but replaced by
the TX-862FC Flack Cannon identical to the cannon carried on the Hunter
class Power Armor. Short range missile launchers are unmodified. One is
mounted on the forward and the other on the after part of the vessel's
superstructure. While mounted in one system, both defense systems have
separate tracking systems. Short range missiles are designed to be able
to track and target multiple missiles simultaneously. Gatling cannon fires
burst of 20 or 40 rounds at incoming air attacks, especially missiles,
usually those which leak through the missile defense. System can be targeted
against surface targets and ground targets.
Maximum Effective Range: Flack Cannon: 10,000 feet (3048 meters). Short Range Missiles: As per short range missile type (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Mega Damage: Flack Cannon: Single round 4D6 M.D., two rounds 1D6x10 M.D., or a rapid fire volley of six rounds 3D6 x 10 M.D. Range Missiles: As per short range missile type - Usually fragmentation (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Flack Cannon: 6 attacks per melee. (+2 to strike aircraft; +3 to strike missiles.) Short Range Missiles: 2 attacks per melee, can fire one at a time or in volleys of two or four.
Payload: Flack Cannon: 800 Rounds (2 Drums of 400) - 133 rapid fire volleys of six rounds or 400 two round volleys. . Short Range Missiles: 24 short range missiles per mount.
- Six (6) HQ-24 Long Range Vertical Launch Systems: Mounted
in front of the ship’s superstructure, launchers have eight cells each
for a total of forty-eight cells mounted in octagonal patterns. Launcher
is not as flexible as the Mk 41 launcher and can only fire long range missiles.
Missiles are primarily anti-air missiles although ground attack is a secondary
role of launcher. Similar multi-purpose missiles are used in both cases.
As well, anti-submarine rocket launched torpedoes can also be fired (See
revised Rifts torpedoes for details.). The
launchers can launch at multiple targets simultaneously.
Maximum Effective Range: Varies with long range missile type (Go to revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Mega-Damage: Varies with long range missile type (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Can fire missiles one at a time or in volleys of any amount up to twenty-four (24) missiles total in any combination and at multiple targets at the same time (All launchers combined)
Payload: 48 long range missiles total (8 each launcher)
- Two (2) Medium Torpedo Launchers: Mainly design for anti-submarine
warfare but can be used against surface targets. There is one launcher
on each side of the ship with three tubes each. The tubes have an automatic
reloading system and can be fired quickly. The ships carries a total of
36 torpedoes for reloads. For the most part torpedo warheads are equal
to medium range missile warheads. Magical torpedo warheads can also be
Maximum Effective Range: 20 miles (32 km)
Mega Damage: By Medium torpedo warhead type (See revised Rifts torpedoes for details.)
Rate of Fire: Can fire torpedoes one at a time or in volleys of two (2) or three (3) torpedoes per side, launcher can fire a maximum of two volleys per melee each launcher
Payload: Has 36 torpedoes for reloads.
- “Fireworks” Anti-Missile Chaff/Flare Dispenser (2): In many
ways this system is similar to technological versions of the Chaff/Flare
system. When the system fires, it looks like fireworks firing. The anti-missile
system works by combining three spells. The three spells are Fire Bolt,
Apparition, and Telekinesis. The physical effects of the system are similar
to the Triax Anti-Missile chaff but instead of being reloaded, it is recharged
- 01-35 - Enemy missile or missile volley detonates in chaff cloud - Missiles
are all destroyed.
36-60 - Enemy missile or missile volley loses track of real target and veers away in wrong direction (May lock onto another target.)
61-00 - No effect, enemy missile or missile volley is still on target.
Duration: 1D4 melee rounds.
Payload: 10 Uses before being recharged. Each launcher is recharged by the spells Apparition (20 P.P.E.), Fire Bolt (7 P.P.E.), and Telekinesis (8 P.P.E.). The cost for all launchers to be recharged is 70 P.P.E. All launchers must be activated at the same time to operate correctly.
- Techno-Wizard Modifications: The "Avian" class frigates has
the following techno-wizard modifications built into the ship. These require
P.P.E. or I.S.P. from the ships crew or P.P.E. battery. The P.P.E. and
I.S.P. values listed inside of the parenthesis are if using higher P.P.E.
costs for larger vehicles.
- Chameleon (6th Level) - 6 P.P.E. or 12 I.S.P. (24 P.P.E. or 48 I.S.P.)
Impervious to Energy (6th Level) - 20 P.P.E. or 40 I.S.P. (80 P.P.E. or 160 I.S.P.)
Invisibility-Superior (6th Level) - 20 P.P.E. or 40 I.S.P. (80 P.P.E. or 160 I.S.P.)
The ship has all systems standard on a robot vehicle plus the following special features:
- Type 355 SAPARS Phased Array Radar: Powerful and flexible pre-rifts radar system that is comprised of four panels that each emit radar waves. Less advanced than the phased radar system fitted on the Coalition ships but still powerful. If allowed by the horizon, the system can track out to 175 nautical miles (201.4 miles / 324.1 km) and can simultaneously track and identify up to 288 targets at one time. The system controls missile launched from the long range missile launchers and the system can track and guide each individual missile to a individual target for up to 96 targets. If a target is eliminated, missiles are automatically guided to a new target. The system can also control missiles launched from other linked vessels as well and can also act as fire control for gun mounts.
- MGK-345 Hull Sonar System: Mounted under the bow of the ship. Sonar system has a range of around 16 nautical miles (18.4 miles / 29.6 km). This hull sonar system has both a passive and active system built in. Sonar system can track up to 16 targets at one time
- MGT-350 Towed Array Sonar: The system is basically a long and very sensitive sonar system carried behind the ship on a long cable. Sonar system has a range of around 75 nautical miles (86.3 miles/139.9 km). This towed array Sonar is a passive only sensor system. Sonar system can track up to 32 targets at one time.
- Sonar Masking System: The Ship uses water bubbles to form a barrier against sonar as well. Gives a -10% penalty to any Read Sensory Instrument rolls to detect this ship using sonar.
- Radar Defeating Profile: The ship superstructure is designed so that the radar profile of the ship is reduced. Because of this, attempts to detect the ship using radar are made with a -10% penalty to read sensor rolls when attempting to detect this ship. Go to General Detection Penalties / Bonuses for more information on penalties and bonuses to use with stealth.
- Combination Radar Detectors and Active Jamming System: Combination of radar detection system (ESM) and an active jamming system. The system can detect another radar system at 125% of the range of the transmitting radar. In jamming mode, causes -25% to detection but when it is active, other vehicles/ bases can detect that it is jamming, and some missiles will home in on jamming signals. Jamming also causes a -4 penalty to all radar guided weapons.
- Magical “See the Invisible” Optics: The ship has several special optical systems with see the invisible on them. Same as spell and used at will. 2,000 feet (610 meters) range. Can see forces, objects, and creatures which can turn invisible, or are invisible. Can also see vaporous beings and astral bodies.
- P.P.E. Battery: The ship has a special P.P.E. battery, unlike similar systems in Phase World, it does not generate magical energy but stores magical energy. The system will store up to 500 P.P.E. and can be stored by crew members and absorbs P.P.E. from Ley Lines and Nexus Points. It will absorb P.P.E. at the rate of 20 per hour on ley lines and 40 per hour on nexus points.
[ Altarain TM, Bandito Arms TM, Brodkil TM, Chipwell Armaments TM, Coalition States TM, Cyber-Knight TM, Federation of Magic TM, Free Quebec TM, Golden Age Weaponsmiths TM, Horune TM, Iron Heart Armaments TM, Kankoran TM, Kittani TM, Kydian TM, Larsen’s Brigade TM, M.D.C. TM, Mechanoids TM, Mega-Damage TM, Megaversal Legion TM, Millennium Tree TM, Mutants in Orbit TM, Naruni Enterprises TM, Naut’Yll, New Navy TM, New Sovietskiy TM, NGR TM, Nog Heng TM, Northern Gun TM, Phase World TM, Psyscape TM, Rifter TM, SAMAS TM, S.D.C. TM, Shemarrian TM, Splugorth TM, Stormspire TM, Sunaj TM, Tolkeen TM, Triax TM, Wellington Industries TM, Wilk’s Laser Technologies TM, Xiticix TM, and Zaayr TM are trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Beyond the Supernatural®, Heroes Unlimited®, Nightbane®, Ninjas & Superspies®, Palladium Fantasy®, and Rifts® are registered trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
Writeup by Kitsune (E-Mail Kitsune).
Copyright © 2010, Kitsune. All rights reserved.