Techno Wizard Angelstar class Submarine:
The Techno-Wizard Nautilus class submarine is an extremely interesting design in many ways although the vessel is quite expensive. In reaction, a less expensive submarine design was attempted. There were several easy ways to attempt a less expensive design. The first was a less expensive propulsion system and a second was a much smaller boat. The vessel design was named the "Angelstar" and it is believed that over a dozen have been constructed with many more planned.
Before widespread nuclear power used on submarines, most submarines were diesel / electric designs Even afterwards, many smaller navies did not operate any nuclear submarines. When running on electric batteries, these submarines were incredibly quiet. The major disadvantage is that the submarine required massive amounst of batteries and was far from quiet when running on its diesel motors.
With the ability to convert electrically powered vehicles to run on magical energy, this gave the perfect method to power the vessel instead of using a fusion power plant. This would also allow for the elimination of the diesel engines completely and remove the batteries as well. The magical propulsion plant gives the boat a range of about one thousand miles between charges. Because a spell casting can simply pump more magical energy into the engines, the submarine can be considered to have almost an indefinite range. Top speed is not near as fast as the Nautilus with a top speed of only around twenty-five knots underwater although few consider this to be a serious weakness. The form of the submarine is such that it does not perform as well on a surface as it does underwater and is limited to around fifteen knots.
The hull form of the Angelstar is far more conventional than the Nautilus which makes the vessel far quieter naturally. A rubber coating further reduces the submarine’s noise signature and the propeller is a shrouded pump jet to reduce it even more. There is the ability to create a globe of silence around the submarine but unlike the Nautilus, it is not always one and requires a significant magical energy expenditure.
The hull is far smaller than the larger techno-wizard submarine and is only about one hundred and forty feet long and displaces about four hundred tons. Construction is from advanced alloys and composites which allow the submarine to withstand incredible pressures. For additional protection, the vessel has an “Armor of Ithan” force field which can be activated up to three times per day.
At first it was planned that the vessel would not have full life support but this would greatly reduce underwater operations even with the "Breath Without Air" enchantment. It was not as hard to engineer in as was feared because the crew only numbers about a dozen due to automation greatly reducing the need for a large crew. At least of the crew does need to be a techno-wizard or other spell caster though and have a couple is much preferred. As might be expected, this is quite often the captain of the vessel. The submarines has a quite reasonable sonar system although not the equal of the most advanced pre-rifts systems.
At first full sized torpedo tubes were planned but careful evaluation seemed to indicate that the launchers were too large to carry enough torpedoes to be truly effective. Instead, lighter weight launchers were fitted which are similar to those carried on the Piranha submersible hydrofoil. Mounted on either side of the bow, these are the equivalent of medium range missile launchers and special submersible missiles are usually fitted. A secondary mounting of a retractable Telekinetic Gatling Cannon fitted in front of the superstructure. Unlike most conventional weapon systems, the enchantments need to be recharged once a month. For defense against incoming torpedoes, the submarine is fitted with noisemakers.
Model Type: TW-SSK-25
Vehicle Type: Ocean, Magical Fast Attack Submarine
Crew: 12 (one officer) with usually at least one techno-wizard or other spell casting type (two is preferred.)
M.D.C. by Location:
|Medium Range Missile/Torpedo Launchers (2):||100 each|
|T.W. Retractable Gatling Cannons (1, forward of sail):||125 each|
|Main Sail / Bridge:||200|
| Bow Planes (2):||100 each|
| Propeller (1):||120|
| Main Body:||800|
| Magical “Armor of Ithan” Force Field (Three Times per Day):||200|
 Destroying the submarines bow planes will reduce the submarines ability to change depths but will not eliminate it. It also makes it difficult for the submarines crew to control the submarine giving a penalty of -25% to all piloting rolls.
 Destroying the submarines propeller causes serious problem. The submarine will no longer be able to use forward momentum and the bow planes to keep the submarine level. It is recommended that ballast tanks are immediately blown so submarine comes to surface.
 Depleting the M.D.C. of the main body destroys the submarine’s structural integrity, causing it to sink. If the submarine is underwater, the entire crew will die unless protected by environmental armors that can withstand the pressure that the submarine is under. If on the surface, there are enough flotation devices and inflatable life rafts to accommodate everyone aboard.
 As per the spell “Armor of Ithan” - Magic, fire, lightning, and cold all inflict one-half damage. Each activation lasts for 30 minutes (120 melee rounds.)
Surface: 17.3 mph (15 knots /27.8 kph)
Underwater: 28.8 mph (25 knots/ 46.3 kph)
Maximum Depth: 2.5 miles (4.02 km)
Range: 1,000 nautical miles (1151.5 miles / 1853.2 km) for each full recharge (requires four castings of “Call Lightning” for 60 P.P.E. due to size of engines.) Life support is conventional and has effectively virtually unlimited duration. The submarine carries about two months worth of supplies on board.
Length: 138.2 feet (42.12 meters)
Draft: 13.4 feet (4.08 meters)
Width: 14.8 feet (4.51 meters)
Displacement: 380 tons surface and 440 tons submerged
Cargo: Submarine is very cramped, 4 tons (3.2 metric tons) of nonessential equipment and supplies. Each enlisted crew member has a small locker for personal items and uniforms. Boats officers have more space for personal items. Most of the boats spaces are take up by extra torpedoes, weapons, and engines.
Power System: Techno-Wizard Electrical Engine Conversion (Powered by “Call Lightning” spell)
Black Market Cost: Quite expensive and rare, average cost of 80 to 100 million credits.
- One (1) Retractable Telekinetic Gatling Cannon: Mount has
been enchanted by a series of spells so the cannons act as a more powerful
version of the Telekinetic Machine gun. Forward of main sail, mount is
retractable inside of the boats hull for when the submarine is diving although
can be used underwater against torpedoes and other targets. This increases
the weapons damage and instead of being reloaded, the cannons must be recharged
by the spell Telekinesis and 100 P.P.E. once per month. The cannon does
full damage to targets that are impervious to energy. Additional optics
and fire control have been added to enable the system to track and target
aircraft and missiles
Maximum Effective Range: 4,000 feet (1,220 meters).
Mega Damage: 12D6
Rate of Fire: Equal to the combined hand to hand attacks of the gunner (usually 4 or 5).
Payload: Unlimited, although the spells (100 P.P.E. each cannon) on each must be renewed every month whether the cannon have been used or not.
- Two (2) Medium Missile/Torpedo Launchers: This system is
a copy of the weapon systems mounted on the Piranha submersible hydrofoil
design. These side-mounted launchers can fire either regular medium-range
missiles or special amphibious missiles (can be used as missile or torpedoes,
have the same damage as equivalent missile, double cost, but can travel
to underwater targets and are +2 to strike). Missile speed underwater is
120 mph (192 km) and have a range of 20 miles (32 km). The submarine usually
carries only the special purpose amphibious missiles in the launchers.
Maximum Effective Range: As per medium range missile type (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Mega Damage: As per medium range missile type (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Can fire missiles / torpedos one at a time or in volleys of two (2), four (4), or eight (8) missiles / torpedoes
Payload: Thirty-Two (32) total; Sixteen (16) per missile / torpedo launcher.
- Magical “Globe of Silence” Submarine Silencing Feature: Unlike
on the Nautilus class submarine, this enchantment is not always active
but instead needs to be activated when needed. The enchantment is an application
of a modified version of the spell “Globe of Silence.” The hull, propeller,
and all exterior features are protected by this spell which extends outward
by 1 foot (0.3 meters). This blocks all interior noises as well. This renders
the submarine completely undetectable using active sonars and can only
be detected by passive sonar by trying to find an area which there are
no sounds (close to impossible, 5% chance with an incredible sonar operator).
Torpedoes fired against the submarine have penalties of -10 to strike the
submarine and lose all bonuses. The hull sonar of the submarine does not
extend out from the silencing system but the towed array sonar does.
Duration: 10 minutes per activation.
P.P.E. Cost: 40 each activation
- Noisemakers: The submarine carries noisemakers to decoy torpedoes.
They are most effective against normal torpedoes and less effective against
"smart" torpedoes. The noisemakers are launched from the middle of the
submarine. Considered effective useless when “Globe of Silence” is active
by most captains / crews.
Effect: 50% of decoying normal torpedoes and 20% of decoying smart torpedoes.
Rate of Fire: Two (2) at a time (Can be reloaded in one melee)
Payload: 20 Noisemakers.
- Techno-Wizard Modifications: The Angelstar has the following
Techno-Wizard Modifications built into the boat. These require P.P.E. or
I.S.P. from the boats crew or P.P.E. battery.
- Shadow Meld (6th Level) - 20 P.P.E. or 40 I.S.P.
Impervious to Energy (6th Level) - 40 P.P.E. or 80 I.S.P.
Invisibility-Superior (6th Level) - 40 P.P.E. or 80 I.S.P.
The submarine has all systems standard on a robot vehicle plus the following special features:
- Extended Life Support: This submarine has an enhanced like support system when compared to most other vehicles because it is designed to operate underwater for extended periods of time. The submarine has an incredible air recycling system that allows the crew to recycle air for five months before the atmosphere is too stale to breath. The submarine also has a 96 hour supply of oxygen to support the recycling system.
- Hull Sonar System: Sonar system in under the subs hull and must be extended before it can be used. Sonar system has a range of around 24 nautical miles (27.6 miles / 44.4 km). This hull sonar system has both a passive and active system built in. Sonar system can track up to 16 targets at one time and has a +10% to read sensor and weapon system skill rolls. Does not extend outside of the “Globe of Silence” sphere when active and does not function when field is active.
- Towed Array Sonar: Mounted just before the submarines propeller. The system is basically a long and very sensitive sonar system carried behind the submarine on a long cable. Sonar system has a range of around 90 nautical miles (103.7 miles/166.7 km). This towed array Sonar is a passive only sensor system. Sonar system can track up to 32 targets at one time. The towed array does extended outside of the “Globe of Silence” sphere around the submarine when it is active and is unaffected as a result.
- Magical “See the Invisible” Optics: The submarine has several special optical systems with see the invisible on them including the periscopes. Same as spell and used at will. The optics have a 2,000 feet (610 meters) range. Can see forces, objects, and creatures which can turn invisible, or are invisible. Can also see vaporous beings and astral bodies.
- ESM: This system is mounted in the sail and is extended in a similar manner to a periscope. The antenna is very hard to detect both visually and by radar. Can detect another radar system at 125% of the range of the transmitting radar and is usually subject to radar horizon.
- Quieted Propulsion and Anechoic Coating: The boat is designed with a very quiet pump jet propulsor design, the submarine’s reactors make very little noise, and the boat is coated by a sonar defeating rubber coating. The submarine is -40% to detect when traveling at less than 23.0 mph (20 knots / 37.0 kph) and is at -20% to detect when traveling at speeds greater than that.
- P.P.E. Battery: The boat has a special P.P.E. battery, unlike similar systems in Phase World, it does not generate magical energy but stores magical energy. The system will store up to 500 P.P.E. and can be stored by crew members and absorbs P.P.E. from Ley Lines and Nexus Points. It will absorb P.P.E. at the rate of 20 per hour on ley lines and 40 per hour on nexus points.
[ Altarain TM, Bandito Arms TM, Brodkil TM, Chipwell Armaments TM, Coalition States TM, Cyber-Knight TM, Federation of Magic TM, Free Quebec TM, Golden Age Weaponsmiths TM, Horune TM, Iron Heart Armaments TM, Kankoran TM, Kittani TM, Kydian TM, Larsen’s Brigade TM, M.D.C. TM, Mechanoids TM, Mega-Damage TM, Megaversal Legion TM, Millennium Tree TM, Mutants in Orbit TM, Naruni Enterprises TM, Naut’Yll, New Navy TM, New Sovietskiy TM, NGR TM, Nog Heng TM, Northern Gun TM, Phase World TM, Psyscape TM, Rifter TM, SAMAS TM, S.D.C. TM, Shemarrian TM, Splugorth TM, Stormspire TM, Sunaj TM, Tolkeen TM, Triax TM, Wellington Industries TM, Wilk’s Laser Technologies TM, Xiticix TM, and Zaayr TM are trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Beyond the Supernatural®, Heroes Unlimited®, Nightbane®, Ninjas & Superspies®, Palladium Fantasy®, and Rifts® are registered trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
Writeup by Kitsune (E-Mail Kitsune).
Copyright © 2010 & 2011, Kitsune. All rights reserved.