REEF-F40 Sabertooth VTOL Fighter:
This fighter was designed by the REEF (Robotech Extra-dimensional Expeditionary Force) as a replacement for the LVT Adventurer III attack aircraft for front line service. While the adventurer was found to be a good bomber and adequate against sky cycles and power armors, the aircraft was at a disadvantage when compared to other fighter designs. The Sabertooth is a totally different animal. The fighter is fast, well armed, and like the adventurer, it is capable of vertical take offs and landings. The aircraft is one of the most advanced aircraft operated on Rifts Earth and has many advantages over Coalition fighter designs. The design is a cross of a variety of technologies including Southern Cross, Triax, and even Coalition technology. In engagements, enemies have found the combination of stealth, speed, and firepower to be a lethal combination.
The Aircraft itself looks like a combination of a Pre-Rifts F-14 Tomcat, F-15 Eagle, and F-22 Raptor. The aircraft has features of each aircraft but is slightly larger than any of them. All weapons are within ordinance bays to increase stealth. The fighter has two large ordnance bays under the aircrafts main body and smaller bays on either side. The lower bays carry normal ordnance but the side bays are designed to fit a standard REEF Hard Point Ordnance. A common payload for one of the small bays is a towed decoy pod. The fighter has small stabilizers near the cockpit and the cockpit itself is designed for two crew members. The ejection system simply ejects the pilot and seats. The seats will act as floatation devices. The body has also been designed to improve the aircraft's stealth and has VTOL (Vertical Takeoff and Landing) capabilities. VTOL thrusters have been integrated as part of the engine as well as several other thrusters throughout the fighter. The aircraft has twin main engines and they have variable exhaust. The engines have secondary intakes on top and they are used on the ground for taxiing to prevent F.O.D. (Foreign Objects and Debris) from entering the turbines. The main intakes are closed during that time. The fighter uses a triple redundant fly by wire system for the flight controls, has variable geometry (sweep) wings with 12 degrees maximum variable swept wings, and is very maneuverable as a result. A set of schematics is on the bottom of the page with a key as well
There are two different versions of this fighter that built. The first is the export model. This (standard) version uses the same engines as the Grey Falcon Attack Jet with the exception that a better cooling system has replaced the cooling system from Ironheart Industry's design. The body of this version is partially stealthy but is not as effective as the full version of the fighter.
The second version is used only by the REEF and their trusted allies.
Only a small number of fighters have been sold to the owners of Metalworks
Industries under the agreement that the company would neither sell nor
copy the fighter design. It uses a special engine that has a much higher
thrust output than the standard engine. It also has a stealth system very
similar to the Coalition's SF-7 Talon fighter. Lastly, the full
version of the fighter has a better fire control system than the standard
|Model Type:||REEF-F40||Sabertooth Interceptor and Tactical Fighter (REEF Version)|
|REEF-F40-EX||Sabertooth Interceptor and Tactical Fighter (Export Version)|
Crew: Two (Pilot / Radar and Sensor & Weapon Operator)
M.D.C. by Location:
|Forward Mounted Rail Guns (2):||60 each|
|Belly Ordnance Bays (2):||75 each|
|Side Ordnance Bays (2):||50 each|
| Forward Canard Wings (2):||50 each|
| Wings (2):||200 each|
| Elevators (2):||100 each|
| Rudders (2):||100 each|
|Landing Gear (3):||20 each|
|Cockpit/ Reinforced Pilot Compartment:||150|
| Engines (2):||300 each|
| Main Body:||500|
 Destroying one or both Canard Wings will result in reducing bonuses to dodge by 2 and removing the 5% bonus to piloting the aircraft.
 Destroying a wing will cause the plane to crash.
 Destruction of rudders or one elevator will still allow the fighter to be controlled by the varying of power levels of the engines but the fighter has a penalty of -10 to dodge, and a -30% penalty to all piloting rolls. Destruction of both of the elevators will leave the plane uncontrollable and pilot must eject to survive.
 The destruction of one engine will reduce the fighter’s top speed by half and give the pilot a -2 penalty to dodge as well as giving a 10% penalty to piloting. Destruction of both engines will cause the aircraft to crash. Pilot may attempt an emergency landing or pilot can choose to eject.
 Depleting the M.D.C. of the main body will shut the aircraft down completely, rendering it useless and causing it to crash if in flight. Damage to the main body will also reduce the aircraft's stealth, for every 10% of damage to the main body, reduce the aircraft's stealth by 10% of its total.
Driving on Ground (Taxiing): Only possible for take offs and landings as well as for parking and storage. Speed is 40 mph (64 kph) when traveling and not on take off or landing.
Flying: Standard version; the thrust system allows the plane to go from hover to Mach 2 (1,483 mph/2,386.5 kmph) and has a maximum altitude of 40,000 feet (12,200 meters).
REEF special version; can hover and go up to a maximum speed of Mach 3.5 (2,595.1 mph/4,176.4 kph). Its cruise speed is up to Mach 1.5 (1,112.1 mph/ 1,789.8 kph) and has a maximum altitude is about 30 Miles (158,400 feet/ 48,280 m).
Maximum Effective Range: Standard Version can fly for about 20 hours above cruising speed and indefinitely at cruising speed (cruise is half of maximum) for the standard version. The REEF special version fighter does not overheat and can fly indefinitely (Pilot endurance in all models will generally prevent operations of longer than 12 hours).
Length: 75 feet (22.8 meters)
Wingspan: 65 feet (19.8 meters)
Height: 16 feet (4.9 meters)
Weight: 23 tons (20.9 metric tons)
Power Source: Nuclear, Should have an average lifespan of 20 years.
Cargo: Minimal (Storage for small equipment). Does not include hard points and ordnance bay. Main Ordnance bay, of emptied of ordnance can carry up to 8,000 lbs (3,628.7 kg) of cargo.
Market Cost: Standard Version; 35 million credits. REEF and Allies Version is not for sale but is valued at about 55 million credits.
- Two (2) REEF-2000 Rail Guns: The pilot has two copies of
the NG-202 as forward firing guns. They are set up like the NG-202 on the
Samson power armor with a greater rate of fire. The guns are controlled
by the aircraft's pilot. The REEF special version uses APFSDS (Armor Piercing
Fin Stabilized Discarding Sabot) ammo that increases damage
Maximum Effective Range: 4,000 feet (1200 meters)
Mega Damage: Normal Ammo; 1D6x10 M.D.C. per burst of 60 rounds (Does not fire single shot) for one rail gun or 2D6x10 M.D.C. for both cannons. APFSDS Ammo; Ammo; 2D4x10 M.D.C. per burst of 60 rounds (Does not fire single shot) for one rail gun or 4D4x10 M.D.C. for both cannons.
Rate of Fire: Equal to pilot’s hand to hand
Payload: 4500 rounds each gun, That is 75 Bursts for each rail gun.
- Belly Mounted Ordnance Bays (2): The fighter has two large
bays in the main body that can carry a wide variety of different ordnance
types. Ordnance types include missiles, torpedoes, and bombs. While depth
charges can be carried, their limited utility means that torpedoes are
carried in most ASW missions. Missile and bomb sizes may be mixed between
different types of ordnance but an ordnance drop or launch must include
the same type and size of ordnance. Ordnance may be carried at the rate
of four short range missiles, four light bombs, two medium range missiles,
or two medium bombs for one long range missile or heavy bomb. Both guided
and unguided ordnance may be carried. An equivalent number of torpedoes
or depth charges to the number of missiles and bombs may also be carried.
Launching of ordnance is controlled by the weapons officer but the pilot
has emergency controls.
Maximum Effective Range: Varies by missile type for missile and varies by altitude bombs are dropped at (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Mega Damage: Varies by missile or bomb type (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Ordnance is dropped or fired one at a time or in volleys of two to thirty two but must be the same size (light, medium, or heavy) and style of ordnance (all missiles or bombs in a volley.)
Payload: 32 short range missile or light bombs, 16 medium range missiles or medium bombs, or 8 long range missile or heavy bomb. Ordnance can be mixed and torpedoes and depth charges may be carried as well as missiles and bombs
- Side Ordnance Bays (2): These are special designed bays on the side of the fighters engines that the weapon system swings out when ready to be used. These bays use standard R.E.E.F. Aircraft Hard point Pods & Ordnance Loads. Often one of the bays will carry a towed decoy pod with the other bay carrying a weapon pod or additional missiles.
- Anti-Missile Chaff Dispenser: Located at the very tail of
the fighter are two chaff dispensers. When tailed by a missile, a cloud
of chaff and other obtrusive particles can be released to confuse or detonate
the enemy's attack. Rifts Earth decoy systems are assumed to not operate
against Phase World missiles due to technological difference. Reduce effects
by 20% against smart missiles (Add +20% to rolls for smart missiles.)
- 01-50 Enemy missile or missile volley detonates in chaff cloud - Missiles
are all destroyed.
51-75 Enemy missile or missile volley loses track of real target and veers away in wrong direction (May lock onto another target.)
76-00 No effect, enemy missile or missile volley is still on target.
Payload: Eight (8).
The fighter has all the standard features of a standard fighter (same as standard robot minus loudspeaker and microphone) plus these special features listed below.
- Stealth Feature: Causes -25% to detection for the standard version due to special materials. The REEF special version fighter has a very similar stealth feature as the Coalition Talon fighter and has a -80% to be detected because of its stealth. On all versions, opening one of the main ordnance bay greatly increase the aircrafts radar signature from the underside of the aircraft and aircraft creates no penalties to be detected in those conditions. Opening the secondary bays reduces stealth by 10% per bay opened. Go to General Detection Penalties for more information on penalties and bonuses to use with stealth.
- Internal Active Jamming Gear: Causes -25% to detection but when it is active, other vehicles/ bases can detect that it is jamming, and some missiles will home in on jamming signals. Jamming also causes a -4 penalty to all radar guided weapons.
- Radar: Range 500 miles (805 km).The Standard Version can identify and track up to 48 targets simultaneously and is also capable of Terrain Following for low altitude flight. With Combat & Targeting Computer, the standard version can fire missiles at up to twelve targets at the same time. The REEF special version fighter can identify and track up to 96 targets simultaneously and is also capable of Terrain Following for low altitude flight. With Combat & Targeting Computer, the REEF special version can fire missiles at up to twenty four targets at the same time. The weapons officer frees the pilot from controlling the missiles so he can retain his full attacks.
- V. A. S.: Visual magnification that multiplies all images by about 300 times which allows visual identification and tracking of fighter sized objects out to 30 to 40 miles (48.3 km to 64.4 km). System has low light amplifications to allow for the systems use during night time conditions.
- FLIR: Forward Looking Infrared. Allows pilot to get visuals on targets at night.
- E.S.M.: Radar Detector, Passively detects other radars being operated.
- Laser Navigational System: Allow flight at low altitude without use of Radar. Gives a map of the Terrain.
- Standard Model: These bonuses are in addition to those from the
- +1 to initiative
+1 to strike with nose gun or mini-missiles
+1 to dodge
+5% to all piloting skills
REEF Special Model: These bonuses are in addition to those from the piloting skill.
- +2 to initiative
+1 to strike with nose gun or mini-missiles
+3 to dodge
+5% to all piloting skills.
Locations on Schematics:
- Angle of attack
- Canard wings (2)
- Pito tube
- Flight refueling probe (even fusion powered aircraft need periodic refueling
- Secondary intakes (2)
- Speed brakes (2)
- Navigation lights
- Navigation lights
- Yaw control reaction air valves (2)
- Active jamming system
- Variable exhaust nozzles (2)
- Thrust reverse systems (2)
- Navigation lights
- Flaps (2)
- Ailerons (2)
- Rear exhaust nozzles (2)
- Main landing doors (2)
- Forward swivelling exhaust nozzles (2)
- #2 and #3 heavy ordnance bay
- #1 and #4 light ordnance bay
- REEF-2000 rail guns (2)
- Main intakes (2)
- Nose landing gear door
- Auxiliary power unit intake
- Auxiliary power unit exhaust
- Radar beacon antennas (2)
- Chaff/flare launchers (2)
- Laser navigational system
- V.A.S. visual magnification system and laser beam emitter
[ Altarain TM, Bandito Arms TM, Brodkil TM, Chipwell Armaments TM, Coalition States TM, Cyber-Knight TM, Federation of Magic TM, Free Quebec TM, Golden Age Weaponsmiths TM, Horune TM, Iron Heart Armaments TM, Kankoran TM, Kittani TM, Kydian TM, Larsen’s Brigade TM, M.D.C. TM, Mechanoids TM, Mega-Damage TM, Megaversal Legion TM, Millennium Tree TM, Mutants in Orbit TM, Naruni Enterprises TM, Naut’Yll, New Navy TM, New Sovietskiy TM, NGR TM, Nog Heng TM, Northern Gun TM, Phase World TM, Psyscape TM, Rifter TM, SAMAS TM, S.D.C. TM, Shemarrian TM, Splugorth TM, Stormspire TM, Sunaj TM, Tolkeen TM, Triax TM, Wellington Industries TM, Wilk’s Laser Technologies TM, Xiticix TM, and Zaayr TM are trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Beyond the Supernatural®, Heroes Unlimited®, Nightbane®, Ninjas & Superspies®, Palladium Fantasy®, and Rifts® are registered trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Macross®, Robotech®, Robotech: Sentinels®, SDF-1®, Southern Cross®, and Zentraedi® are registered trademarks owned and licensed by Harmony Gold USA, Inc. ]
Image drawn and copyrighted by Dany Boucher (email@example.com) .
More Dany Boucher artwork at Fantasy Art of Elfwood
Copyright © 1998 & 2001, Kitsune and Dany Boucher. All rights reserved.