Ghost Pontiac Trans-Am (Black Knight):
It was one of the more unusual museums ever built. It was dedicated to television shows of the Twentieth Century. In a forgotten corner, a red light could been seen going back and forth. The museum itself was badly damaged and very little was intact. The red light should have long ago broke down. The red light went back and forth as if it was looking for something. It was in the front of a gloss black old pre-Rifts sports car. Pre-Rifts automobile experts would tell that it is Pontiac Trans-Am from the early part of the Nineteen-Eighties. The car itself appeared to be in perfect condition while all around the car, the displays were virtually destroyed. If one was to look inside, the car would look very unusual with strange displays. It is hard to know if the car is a reproduction or an original car used in the television show. Water had leaked through the damaged roof and animals had destroyed much of what the water had not ruined. The remains of multiple television monitors can be seen around the car. Beside the black car was the remains of a mannikin, miraculously still standing, with the remains of a black leather jacket and the remains of curly hair. The display in front of the car is illegible except for the word "Knight" and there is the remains of a display in front of the mannikin which states his name as "David Has off." The Mannikin is the ghost of a man long dust. Still, something is remembered. Who knows what woke the magic of the car. Maybe there was a sudden peak of magic energy in the local ley line, maybe it was simply time. Still, suddenly something changes and the car puts itself in gear on its own and drives itself out the destroyed relic of the past. The Black Knight was born.
Sometimes a dream, even a complete fantasy, is so strong it can come to life. This is especially true in the times after the coming of the Rifts. For years, this car had been the focus of the dream that one man can make a difference and that life did have happy endings. The black car became the dream. The car is very unusual in the fact that unlike most haunted vehicles, it can actually talk to others. There is a speaker in the center of the dash and a bright pulsing light which activates whenever the car talks. The car is completely free willed and can drive wherever he wishes although he prefers to have a person in the driver's seat. The car calls itself "Knight" and is one of the most principled ghost vehicle in existence. It has a strong believe in trying to rescue the innocent and fighting evil. The Black Trans-Am will only allow those of pure heart drive him. He has been in the hands of a techno-wizard, rogue scholar, cyber knight, and an operator since having come to life. The various owners of the car have dubbed it the Black Knight. The only item weird with the car is that it does not think of itself as haunted but as a pure technological design and does not consider any of its specially abilities to be magical in nature. The car also likes talking about his previous owner named "Michael" and talks as if he was a real person, not a character in an ancient pre-rifts television series. He also loves to talk about one of his previous mechanics named "Bonnie" who is just as fictitious as Michael. The black sports car will simply ignore any suggestions that this "Michael" or "Bonnie" were not real people.
The magic which caused the car to be reborn seems to have also made the car incredibly strong. The car seems to have the ability to almost withstand the damage of a tank. The black ghost car also seems to be able to regenerate damage. Several times, the car was badly damaged and came back several days later looking like it had never been hit. Unlike many ghost vehicles, the haunted Trans-Am seems to not reject new components and actually seems to relish new equipment. A full advanced electronic suite has been added to the car and a pair of pulse lasers and mini-missile launchers have also been added to the vehicle. The pulse lasers are based on pistol mounts and are mounted in the vehicle's headlights. It is likely that the operator who owned the car for a period of time had the weapon systems and new electronics added. In addition, the techno-wizard owner added a number of techno-wizard enchantments including the ability to become impervious to energy, become invisible, and to create an incredibly strong force field. While the car does not believe in magic, he can still activated the enchantments and the magic energy is pulled from the automobiles magical energies. The enchantments can also be activated by the driver if desired.
The ghost energies also seem to give the sports car virtually unlimited endurance although about every five hundred miles, the car has to stop for about an hour to recharge. The car seems to have the ability of perfect traction and can drive on virtually any terrain. It does not slip on ice or hydroplane on wet roads. The Ghost Cars top speed is also pretty incredible and the can reach speeds of up to around 220 miles per hour which is about 100 miles per hour in excess of what the original 1982 Pontiac Trans-Am could reach normally. Still, even with its perfect traction, it cannot reach top speed except on smooth and level terrain. The black sports car seems to rarely get lost and seems to have a natural sense of direction. While the car itself does not seem especially lucky, it seems to give its passengers very good luck.
Type: 1982 Pontiac Trans-Am
Class: Haunted Pre-Rifts Commercial Automobile
Crew: One (Can carry one additional comfortably and can carry three to four passengers cramped)
Horror Factor: 10 (If known to be haunted)
M.D.C. by Location:
| Retractable Combination Headlights / Pulse Lasers (2)||50 each|
| Retractable Mini-Missile Launchers (2):||60 each|
| Tires (4):||60 each|
| Main Body:||480|
 These are small and difficult targets to strike, requiring the attacker to make a “called shot,” but even then the attacker is -4 to strike.
 Depleting the M.D.C. of the main body will shut the unit down completely, making it useless.
Note: The Trans-Am will regenerate at 20% of the hit locations M.D.C. per day, meaning all damage will be restored within 5 days of being damaged. This includes new systems such as the mini-missile launchers and the pulse lasers. Also, the Trans-Am can create an “Invincible Armor” force field of 150 M.D.C.
Ground: Top speed on roads of 220 mph (354 kph) with a normal cruise speed of 80 mph (129 kph.) The car is not really designed for off road travel although it has incredible traction, top speed is 80 mph (129 kph)
Maximum Range: Runs on magical energy, 500 miles (804 km) before the Trans-Am needs to shut down for an hour before needing to recharge. If the driver only for a percentage of the full range, the recharge only requires that percentage of an hour to recharge. A secondary advantage is that the vehicle can be activated immediately if all of the magical energy has not been expended.
Height: 4.15 feet (1.26 meters)
Width: 6.0 feet (1.83 meters)
Length: 15.8 feet (4.82 meters)
Weight: 3150 lbs (1430 kilograms)
Power Source: Magic, Trans-Am's systems seem to work as if run by magic
Cargo Capacity: Tiny Trunk only (11 cubic feet). In addition to the truck, the vehicle has additional storage ability in the rear passenger seats and side passenger seat.
Black Market Cost: Not for Sale, price for the automobile is virtually impossible to estimate
- Twin Light Laser Cannons: These laser cannons are fairly
powerful but have a fairly short range and were added after the coming
of the Rifts. They can be fired together to inflict greater damage. These
light laser cannons are mounted inside the retractable headlights. These
weapons are copies of the Wilk’s 237 “Backup” Pulse Laser Pistol fitted
into the vehicle. The Trans-Am does not produce enough power to continuously
power the laser cannons so the weapons pull from a group of capacitors.
The capacitors must be recharged externally. Even though not an original
system, the car can control the system if he sees the need.
Mega-damage: One laser: 3D6 per single blast and 6D6 per double blast. Both lasers: 6D6 per single blast and 1D6x10+6 per double blast.
Rate of Fire: Equal to number of combined hand to hand attacks (usually 4-6. The car has four attacks per melee and has +3 to strike)
Maximum Range: 500 feet (152 meters)
Payload: 200 shots (bursts use 2 or 4 shots)
- Mini-Missile Launchers (2): Added to the car post Rifts,
the Trans-Am has a concealed mini-missile launcher in each wheel well.
Both launchers hold four (4) mini-missiles for eight (8) total. Even though
not an original system, the car can control the system if he sees the need.
Maximum Effective Range: Varies with mini missile types (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Mega-Damage: Varies with mini missile types (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Can fire missiles one at a time or in volleys of two (2), four (4), or eight (8 - all) missiles. Can be fired equal to the drivers combined hand to hand (usually 4-6. The car has four attacks per melee and has +3 to strike)
- Techno-Wizard Modifications: The Black Knight has the following
Techno-Wizard Modifications built into the Automobile. These enchantments
can be activated by the automobile and draw off the vehicle's natural magical
energies or can be activated by the driver using their own I.S.P. or P.P.E.
or can be drawn from the vehicle.
- Impervious to Energy (6th Level) - 20 P.P.E. or 40 I.S.P.
Invisibility-Superior (6th Level) - 20 P.P.E. or 40 I.S.P.
Invincible Armor (6th Level) 30 P.P.E. or 60 I.S.P.
- Radio/ Video Communications: Long range, directional, has a range of 500 miles with short range directional radio of 5 miles.
- Thermal Imager: Range: 2,000 ft (609 m). Finds the infra-red radiations of things that are warm. Also enables pilot to see in smoke, shadows and darkness.
- Nightvision Optics: Range: 2,000 ft (609 m). Uses light amplification to make a picture. Emits no light but will not work in absolute darkness. System can be dazzled by sudden bright lights but does not physically blind the pilot.
- E.S.M.: Radar Detector, Passively detects other radars being operated.
Special Abilities as a Haunted Vehicle:
- Will of Its Own: The car sometimes has a will of its own and and operates completely independently. While the car will normally discuss its destination with its "driver", it can drive itself and has the ability to activate its own abilities. Unlike most haunted vehicles, the car has the full ability to talk. The car is very principled and heroic. It is most inclined towards heroic deeds such as defending and rescuing others. The car also has a tendency to tell some stories based on the old television episodes which it is from.
- Magical Propulsive Force: The Trans-Am runs of magical energy and while the car cannot run forever, it can run for up to about 500 miles (804 km) before the tank needs to shut down for an hour before needing to recharge. As the magical energy is used up, the gas gauge will slowly travel towards empty. Still, the range is far better than the vehicle's original range. Smart drivers will not allow the gauge to go below a half tank to keep a reserve.
- Regenerates Damage: The sport's car will regenerate at 20% of the hit locations M.D.C. per day, meaning all damage will be restored within 5 days of being damaged. Even if a hit location is completely destroyed, it will slowly regenerate until completely restored.
- Modification Ability: The Trans-Am WILL accept modern upgrades and newer systems, the only requirement is that the modification is that they do not ruin the appearance of the vehicle. Also note that any new additions will become part of the vehicle, and under his control.
- Natural P.P.E.: 100, The vehicle virtually fairly hum with magical energy. The energy regenerates at the rate of 10 P.P.E. per hour. Double P.P.E. and regeneration on ley lines and triple P.P.E. and regeneration at a Ley Line Nexus. Magical energy can be used by the driver and passengers crew for spell casting and can be used by the Trans-Am to power techno-wizard modifications.
- Road Suction: The sports car has perfect traction; ignoring ice and hydroplaning conditions. Can remain parked on a slope almost indefinitely. Likewise, mud has no effect on this vehicle (does not like getting messy, however.)
- Lucky: Once per day, the driver of the Trans-Am can re-roll a botched skill roll (driving skill roll, Fast Talk roll, Perception roll, etc.) The car does not have the ability to make re-rolls for botched rolls.
- Natural Sense of Direction: No matter how lost one might get, somehow the Trans-Am will find its way to the destination; +20% to Navigation rolls, or else a base Navigation skill of 65%. The driver will just get a "feeling" of the right direction to take.
[ Altarain TM, Bandito Arms TM, Brodkil TM, Chipwell Armaments TM, Coalition States TM, Cyber-Knight TM, Federation of Magic TM, Free Quebec TM, Golden Age Weaponsmiths TM, Horune TM, Iron Heart Armaments TM, Kankoran TM, Kittani TM, Kydian TM, Larsen’s Brigade TM, M.D.C. TM, Mechanoids TM, Mega-Damage TM, Megaversal Legion TM, Millennium Tree TM, Mutants in Orbit TM, Naruni Enterprises TM, Naut’Yll, New Navy TM, New Sovietskiy TM, NGR TM, Nog Heng TM, Northern Gun TM, Phase World TM, Psyscape TM, Rifter TM, SAMAS TM, S.D.C. TM, Shemarrian TM, Splugorth TM, Stormspire TM, Sunaj TM, Tolkeen TM, Triax TM, Wellington Industries TM, Wilk’s Laser Technologies TM, Xiticix TM, and Zaayr TM are trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Beyond the Supernatural®, Heroes Unlimited®, Nightbane®, Ninjas & Superspies®, Palladium Fantasy®, and Rifts® are registered trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
Special Credit to Talis D. Merrill (firstname.lastname@example.org) for many of the concepts and enchantments / powers for Ghost / Haunted vehicles.
Writeup by Kitsune (E-Mail Kitsune).
Copyright © 2005, Kitsune. All rights reserved.