Modified Coalition Orca class Submarines:
After the dismal failure of the CSS Orca and how much noise the submarine was making due to its skull-shaped bow, it was immediately brought back into dry dock and the entire nose section was removed and replaced by a standard style submarine bow (no skull design). This solved most of the problems but the Orca is still very massive for it roles and the CS has begun considering a smaller full size submarine class as well. This new submarine design will still be much larger than a Mini Sub and will likely be about the same size as a pre Rifts Virginia class submarine. If this occurs, it is likely that the Orca class will fill the same role as the Russian Oscar class guided missile submarine did previously to the coming apart of the Soviet Union with the smaller submarine filling the other roles. The refitting of the Orca has brought the whole project back about two years and has delayed the replacement of the old US Navy submarines still in Coalition service.
None of the weapons systems have been changed in the modified Orca class when compared to the original but should be able to hold its own against other submarines. The unmodified design was so noisy that it could likely have been defeated by a World War Two submarine. Unknown to most individuals and know to only a few technicians is that the submarine's sonar systems are in reality copied from the Virginia class submarine although the size of the systems was reduced to some extent by further miniaturization. When two of the attack version of the Orca class submarine are produced, the plan is to produce a ballistic missile version of the submarine and to retire the old Defiance (Modified Ohio) class submarines as the ballistic missile version of the Orca class enters service. The modification is very simple. The missile launchers are replaced by twenty four Trident missile launchers. Unlike the long range missiles launchers, these launchers will have no reloads and will take up all of that section of hull and the sub will need to be extended 100 feet in length. This submarine design is not as advanced as the New Navy classes or Triax submarines. Triax has so far refused to sell the CS any of their more advanced sonar systems and it is unlikely that this will change for an extended period of time. This submarine is still quite fast, well armed, and capable of diving to deeper depths than older US Submarines could.
Like all submarines, the Orca class is very cramped and the ship only has very tiny staterooms shared by multiple officers and enlisted don't actually have enough bunks for the entire crew and they have to hot bunk. This mean that multiple crew members will use the same bunk at different times. The submarine has more automation which does reduce crew requirements. The submarine has a small amount of space devoted for special forces teams such as seals but when they are carried the submarine is even more cramped.
Author Note: The Author suggests that this writeup is used in place of the writeup done by Palladium Books in the Coalition Navy due to being more complete and being based on better research and a probable better general knowledge of Submarines by the author. The Author has also done some moderate increases in M.D.C. values to give the submarine a better survival rate.
Model Type: Modified SSN-07 Orca class Submarine
Class: Fast Attack Submarine
Crew: 98 total; 10 officers, 10 chief petty officer, 78 enlisted. (8 pilot Sea SAMAS)
Troops: 40 Infantry or 20 troops in SAMAS (any type) or Trident Power Armor
Robots, Power Armors, and Vehicles:
|8||Sea SAMAS Power Armors (Normal)|
|20||Additional Power Power Armors (Can be SAMAS [any type] or Trident Power Armor)|
|2||CS "Stingray" class Mini-Submarines|
|1||CS Sea Spider Walker|
M.D.C. by Location:
|Torpedo Tubes (4 - Bow of submarine):||75 each|
|VLS Long Range Missile Launchers (24, Aft of Sail):||100 each|
|Ion Cannon Turret (2, forward and Aft of Sail):||125 each|
| Bow Planes (2):||200 each|
| Pump Jet Propulsor (1):||300|
| Main Body:||1,850|
 Destroying the submarines bow planes will reduce the submarine's ability to change depths but will not eliminate it. It also makes it difficult for the submarine's crew to control the submarine giving a penalty of -25% to all piloting rolls.
 Destroying the submarines Pump Jet Propulsor causes serious problems. The submarine will no longer be able to use forward momentum and the bow planes to keep the submarine level. It is recommended that ballast takes are immediately blown so submarine comes to surface.
 Depleting the M.D.C. of the main body destroys the submarine's structural integrity, causing it to sink. If the submarine is underwater, the entire crew will die unless protected by environmental armors that can withstand the pressure that the submarine is under. If on the surface, there are enough flotation devices and inflatable life rafts to accommodate everyone aboard.
Surface: 40.6 mph (35 knots/ 65 kph)
Underwater: 40.6 mph (35 knots/ 65 kph)
Maximum Depth: 1.5 miles (2.4 km)
Maximum Effective Range: Effectively Unlimited due to fusion engines (needs to refuel every 20 years and requires maintenance as well). Ship carries six months of supplies on board.
Draft: 40 feet (12.2 meters)
Width: 46 feet (14 meters)
Length: standard fast attack version: 396 feet (120.8 meters). ballistic missile version: 496 feet (151.2 meters)
Displacement: standard fast attack version: 18,250 tons standard and 21,500 tons submerged. ballistic missile version: 23,250 tons standard and 27,250 tons submerged
Cargo: Submarine is very cramped, 20 tons of nonessential equipment and supplies. Each enlisted crew member has a small locker for personal items and uniforms. Ships officers have more space for personal items. Most of the ship’s spaces are taken up by extra torpedoes, weapons, and engines.
Power System: Nuclear; average energy life of 20 years.
Black Market Price: Not Available for sale but cost the CS around 1.5 billion credits each to construct
- Ion Cannon Turrets (2): These cannons are mounted in front
of the main sail and behind the main sail and fully retractable under concealing
deck plates so that they do not disrupt water flow (it is too bad that
they did not consider this with the bow) and are useful both underwater
and on the surface. The weapon systems are used mainly as close defense
and against aircraft. Each cannon can be controlled by one gunner or can
be controlled individually
Maximum Effective Range: 1,800 feet (548.6 meters)
Mega Damage: One cannon inflicts 6D6 M.D.C. and both cannons fired together inflict 1D6x10+12 M.D.C.
Rate of Fire: Equal to gunners hand to hand (Usually 4 or 5).
Payload: Effectively Unlimited.
- Four (4) Heavy Torpedo Tubes: On the bow of the submarine
are four torpedo tubes. Tubes are 21 inches (533 mm) wide and torpedoes
can be used against both surface ships and submarines. For warheads, heavy
torpedoes should be treated as having long missile warheads. Along with
standard torpedoes, launcher can also fire missiles in special canisters
and rocket boosted ASW torpedoes. The sub carries 40 reloads for torpedoes.
Maximum Effective Range: 40 miles (64 km)
Mega Damage: By heavy torpedo warhead type (See revised Rifts torpedoes for details), can fire missiles (Long Range or Cruise) in special canisters as well (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Torpedoes can be fired one at a time or in volleys of two (2), three (3), or four (4) torpedoes. The launchers can fire up to four volleys per melee due to automated reloading system
Payload: 4 Total (Has 40 torpedoes for reloads)
- Missile Launchers: The standard version of the submarine
carries twenty four long range missile launchers with a special reloading
system but it is planned that future versions of the submarine will carry
twenty four Trident ballistic missiles with no reloads. The missiles take
up the entire hull section and will cause the submarine to be extended
by 100 feet.
- Twenty Four (24) Vertical Launch Long Range Missile Launchers:
Behind the submarine's superstructure are two rows of twelve long range
missile launchers. Missiles are launched in special canisters that enable
the missiles to be used in depths down to 300 feet. Most missiles normally
carried are fusion (Also smart missiles). The launchers are a new design
although the launchers on the Los Angeles and Virginia class were studied
before these launchers were designed. For this reason, the launcher can
be reloaded by an automatic reload system. The Orca will normally carry
six nuclear tipped missiles and four nuke ASW weapons. In wartime, this
is planed to be raised to twenty four and ten respectively
Maximum Effective Range: As per long range missile type (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Mega Damage: As per long range missile type (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Missiles can be fired one at a time or in volleys of two (2), four (4), eight (8), twelve (12), or twenty-four (24) missiles and can be fired at multiple targets at the same time. Can fire up to two volleys per melee due to automatic reloading system.
Payload: 24 missiles total in launchers with 82 reloads
- Twenty Four (24) Trident D-5 Strategic Ballistic Missiles: Behind
the submarine's superstructure are two rows of twelve ballistic missiles.
These missiles make the Ohio class & the Ballistic version of the modified
Orca one of the most dangerous ship classes on Rifts Earth. Missiles can
be launched at depths up to 300 feet. The CS has simply copied the missile
designs from the pre-rifts missile. Missiles have a range of 6,000 nautical
miles but essentially enter a low orbit to do so they would probably be
destroyed either by the debris rings or by defense satellites. Missiles
can be launched at targets less than 1,000 nautical miles without entering
a ballistic trajectory. Each missile has 14 warheads that are each the
equivalent of a nuclear long range missile warhead. The missiles can hit
targets up to 100 miles away from where the missile breaks into its multiple
warheads and can target multiple targets. Each warhead has independent
guidance and is considered a smart missile.
Maximum Effective Range: 6,904.7 miles (6,000 nautical miles / 11,112 km ) but must be launched ballistically, 1,150.8 miles (1,000 nautical miles /1,852 km) with missiles being launched sub ballistically. Missile warheads can hit targets withing a 115 miles (100 nautical miles /185 km) of where the missile breaks into fourteen warheads.
Mega Damage: Each missile have 14 warheads which each are equal to a nuclear long range missile warhead (See revised bomb and missile tables for details.)
Rate of Fire: Can fire missiles one at a time or in volleys of two (2), four (4), or six (6) missiles and can be fired at multiple targets at the same time.
Payload: 24 Trident Ballistic missiles total. Submarine carries no reloads
- Twenty Four (24) Vertical Launch Long Range Missile Launchers: Behind the submarine's superstructure are two rows of twelve long range missile launchers. Missiles are launched in special canisters that enable the missiles to be used in depths down to 300 feet. Most missiles normally carried are fusion (Also smart missiles). The launchers are a new design although the launchers on the Los Angeles and Virginia class were studied before these launchers were designed. For this reason, the launcher can be reloaded by an automatic reload system. The Orca will normally carry six nuclear tipped missiles and four nuke ASW weapons. In wartime, this is planed to be raised to twenty four and ten respectively
- Noisemakers: The submarine carries noisemakers to decoy torpedoes.
The noisemakers are launched from the middle of the submarine.
Effect: 50% of decoying normal torpedoes and 20% of decoying smart torpedoes.
Rate of Fire: 2 at a time (Can be reloaded in one melee)
Payload: 20 Noisemakers.
The submarine has all systems standard on a robot vehicle plus the following special features:
- Extended Life Support: This submarine has an enhanced life support system when compared to most other vehicles because it is designed to operate underwater for extended periods of time. The submarine has an incredible air recycling system that allows the crew to recycle air for five months before the atmosphere is too stale to breathe. The submarine also has a 96 hour supply of oxygen to support the recycling system.
- BSY-2 Hull Sonar System and BQG-5 Wide Aperture Array: Sonar system has a range of around 45 nautical miles (51.8 miles / 83.3 km). This hull sonar system has both a passive and active system built in. Sonar system can track up to 16 targets at one time and has a +10% to read sensor and weapon system skill rolls.
- TB-12X Towed Array Sonar: The system is basically a long and very sensitive sonar system carried behind the submarine on a long cable. Sonar system has a range of around 105 nautical miles (120.8 miles/194.5 km). This towed array Sonar is a passive only sensor system. Sonar system can track up to 32 targets at one time.
- ESM: This system is mounted in mounted in the superstructure and is extended in a similar manner to a periscope. The antenna is very hard to detect both visually and by radar. Can detect another radar system at 125% of the range of the transmitting radar.
- Quieted propulsion and Anechoic Coating: With the bow refitted: The ship is designed with a very quiet pump jet propulsor design, the submarine's reactors make very little noise, and the ship is coated by a sonar defeating rubber coating. The submarine is -40% to detect when traveling at less that 20 knots and is at -20% to detect when traveling at speeds greater than that. Without the bow refitted: The skull design in the bow greatly disrupts water flow and makes the submarine more noisy. When the submarine is traveling at 5 knots or less, the submarine has no penalties or bonuses to be detected. If the submarine is traveling from 5 to 20 knots, the submarine has a +10% bonus to be detected. If the submarine is traveling above 20 knots, the submarine has a bonus of +30% to be detected.
[ Altarain TM, Bandito Arms TM, Brodkil TM, Chipwell Armaments TM, Coalition States TM, Cyber-Knight TM, Federation of Magic TM, Free Quebec TM, Golden Age Weaponsmiths TM, Horune TM, Iron Heart Armaments TM, Kankoran TM, Kittani TM, Kydian TM, Larsen’s Brigade TM, M.D.C. TM, Mechanoids TM, Mega-Damage TM, Megaversal Legion TM, Millennium Tree TM, Mutants in Orbit TM, Naruni Enterprises TM, Naut’Yll, New Navy TM, New Sovietskiy TM, NGR TM, Nog Heng TM, Northern Gun TM, Phase World TM, Psyscape TM, Rifter TM, SAMAS TM, S.D.C. TM, Shemarrian TM, Splugorth TM, Stormspire TM, Sunaj TM, Tolkeen TM, Triax TM, Wellington Industries TM, Wilk’s Laser Technologies TM, Xiticix TM, and Zaayr TM are trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Beyond the Supernatural®, Heroes Unlimited®, Nightbane®, Ninjas & Superspies®, Palladium Fantasy®, and Rifts® are registered trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
Writeup by Kitsune (E-Mail Kitsune).
Copyright © 1999 & 2000, Kitsune. All rights reserved.