Texas Irregulars (Mercenary Company):
The Texas Irregulars is one of the most magic oriented mercenary companies operating on Rifts Earth. The company was originally founded by a techno-wizard that goes by the name 'Charlie Blade.' Before forming the mercenary company, he was an adventurer and he made huge amounts of money both adventuring and selling techno-wizard creations. The idea behind the company was to form an elite unite that was composed primarily of techno-wizards that would take on special jobs. He contacted other techno-wizards he had met through the years and proposed forming the company. One of those was a combat techno-wizard that is thought to be one of the founders of the combat techno-wizard class.
The Texas Irregulars is fairly small compared to many other mercenary companies. Most of the combatants are techno-wizards. In addition to the techno-wizards, there is a number of Warlocks with Earth Warlocks being the most common. As far as non mages in the company, there is a small number of operators and an even smaller number of mercenary types. Many concepts he executed in his company were unique. He did not want to have a large dedicated support staff so he made sure that most of his troops can do more than one speciality. The Texas Irregulars has very few non-combatants. These are a few non combatant techno-wizards and operations to do repair work the troops do not have time to do and a few vagabonds that do various odd jobs such as cooking and cleaning for the company.
Charlie Blade was born in what used to be the State of Texas and was also a fanatic history buff about the Republic of Texas before it joined the old Earth American Empire. When he formed his Mercenary Company, he decided to adopt a modernized version of the Republic of Texas uniforms for his troops. Military ranks are a simplified version of the rank structure used by most mercenary companies. The only military ranks are Colonel (Leader of the company), Major (Second in command of company), Captain, Lieutenant, Sergeant, Corporal, and Private.
Weapons that the company has used in the past include Techno-Wizard Elemental Mines and Anime Backpacks. All vehicles are of techno-wizard design and all ground troops are equipped with techno-wizard power armors. Where most companies would use conventional gear, the company uses magical and techno-wizard gear which makes it far harder to tap into by organizations (such as the Coalition) which do not use magical equipment. While troops are issued standard weapons and armors, a large number of troops carry their own personal weapons and armors. Because of the huge amount of money that the company had on startup, it is far better equipped than any conventional company of comparable size.
The Company has fought in several engagement including against vampires and at the Tolkeen Front. Often, the company was outnumber by a large number yet has always been able to defeat their opponents. Because of the specialized nature of the mercenary company and their reputation, they can command four times more than a similar sized conventional mercenary company could.
While the company does not have a permanent base, the company will often stop for a few months in a quiet town or city. During this time, the company will make and sell techno-wizard creations. The company has a few techno-wizard creations that are quite unusual that they make.
Except for the Combat Techno-Wizards, all members of the company are expected to be trained before joining the company. All members of the unit are expected to be able to fight at least at hand to hand basic level. About half of the combat techno-wizards are trained by Major Forester. This training was begun because it was impossible to get enough trained combat techno-wizard for the unit. These students are trained during time the companies is not in the field. As a result of his training, many of the combat techno-wizards have hand to hand commando.
- Sponsorship: None, 0 points
- Outfits: Gimmick Clothing, 30 points
- Equipment: Magic Technology, 20 points
- Vehicles: Specialty Vehicles, 30 points
- Weapons, Power Armor, & Bots: Extensive Weaponry, 40 points
- Communication: Full Range Systems, 15 points
- Internal Security: Iron Clad, 20 points
- Permanent Base: None, 0 points
- Intelligence Resources: Psionic and Magic Operatives: 20 points
- Special Budget: Large loans, 25 points
- General Alignment: Unprincipled & Scrupulous, 7 points
- Criminal Activity: None, 0 points
- Reputation/ Credentials: Excellent, 25 points
- Salary: Excellent, 20 points
Total Points: 253 points
Size & Orientation: Free Company
Officers: 15 Officers
- Important Officers / Individuals:
- Colonel Charlie Blade: 10th level techno-wizard. Commander and
founder of the mercenary company.
Major James Forester: 8th level combat techno-wizard and 3rd level Coalition Commando. Second in Command and Leader of the combat techno-wizard unit and helps to train recruits for the unit. He was originally a Coalition Commando that was sent on an infiltration mission. He made friends with a techno-wizard who taught him magic. He found that he liked magic and decided not to go back to the Coalition. He was able to merge traditional techno-wizard training and commando training to form a new class of techno-wizard.
Captain Kip Shelton: 6th level techno-wizard. In charge of armored vehicles
Lieutenant "Sky Rider" Rosie Caravello: 5th level techno-wizard aviator. In charge of Aircraft
Lieutenant Darius Arethlan: 6th level Earth Warlock. In charge of Warlocks
Lieutenant Aurelia Blade: 2nd level combat techno-wizard. She is often the leader of scout detachments. Daughter of the mercenary company’s commander and learned magic hanging around her father but was more interested in combat use of techno-wizardry so she became a combat techno-wizard.
Line / Combat Personnel:
|2||Earth / Fire Warlocks|
Weapons, Equipment, and Resources:
Note that most members of the mercenary company have personal weapons and other equipment that they have acquired on various assignments. Members are allowed to retain any equipment that they manage to capture while with the company as well.
- Techno Wizards Standard Issue (includes both Tank Crews and Fighter Pilots): Vulcan Laser Pistol (with 3 magazines), T.W. Thundergun (with 18 extra rounds of silver ammunition), T.W. Flaming Sword, Pump Pistol Cartridge Revolver (with 18 extra rounds of ammunition), 2 Silver Knives.
- Combat Techno-Wizard Standard Issue: Vulcan Laser Pistol (with 4 magazines), T.W. Thundergun (with 24 extra rounds of silver ammunition), Choice of T.W. Flaming Sword or T.W. Light Sword, Pump Pistol Cartridge Revolver (with 24 extra rounds of ammunition), 4 Silver Knives. Three out of every four carry WI-GL4 Revolving Grenade Launchers (with 24 extra rounds) with the other quarter carrying T.W. Anime backpacks.
- Non-Techno Wizard Standard Issue: Choice of L-20 Rifle or NG-45LP “Long Pistol” (both weapons come with 3 long E-Clips), Pump Pistol Cartridge Revolver (with 48 extra rounds of ammunition - 36 Normal and 12 Silver), 2 Silver Knives. Psychics are issued T.W. Flaming Swords as well.
- Techno Wizards Standard Issue (includes both Tank Crews and Fighter Pilots): NG-TW Jumpsuit Armor (with Techno-Wizard spells of Armor of Ithan and Impervious to Energy) and NG-TW Armored Jacket.
- Combat Techno-Wizard Standard Issue: Mystic Power Armor, NG-TW Fighter Pilot Armor (with Techno-Wizard spells of Armor of Ithan and Impervious to Energy) and NG-TW Armored Jacket.
- Non-Techno Wizard Standard Issue: Bushman Body Armor for non-warlocks (with Techno-Wizard spells of Armor of Ithan and Impervious to Energy for psychics). Warlocks are issued NG-TW Fighter Pilot Armor (with Techno-Wizard spells of Armor of Ithan and Impervious to Energy) and NG-TW Armored Jacket.
- All: NG-S2 Basic Survival Packs (Actually made by a variety of companies), 4 Wooden Spikes, Binoculars
This includes both combat vehicles and support vehicles. All support vehicles have the ability to act as combat vehicles. The "Demon Beetle" Troop Transports are used for transporting troops and equipment with several being converted to act as support vehicles although they retain all weapon systems. When not being used for scouting, the T.W. Scout Cycles are carried on the troop transports. Each Iron Mark tank has two techno-wizards and three non techno-wizards as crew, each Lightning Knight has one techno-wizard and one non techno-wizard as crew, and each Demon Beetle has one techno-wizard and three non techno-wizards as crew.
Aircraft: 12 total
|4||TW-AV8B Merlin VTOLs|
|8||TW-P51W “Wildstorm” Mustang Fighters|
|6||T.W. Iron Mark Battle Tanks|
|10||T.W. Lightning Knight Light Tanks|
|10||T.W. "Demon Beetle" Troop Transports|
|40||Mystic Power Armors|
|10||T.W. Scout Cycles|
[ Altarain TM, Bandito Arms TM, Brodkil TM, Chipwell Armaments TM, Coalition States TM, Cyber-Knight TM, Federation of Magic TM, Free Quebec TM, Golden Age Weaponsmiths TM, Horune TM, Iron Heart Armaments TM, Kankoran TM, Kittani TM, Kydian TM, Larsen’s Brigade TM, M.D.C. TM, Mechanoids TM, Mega-Damage TM, Megaversal Legion TM, Millennium Tree TM, Mutants in Orbit TM, Naruni Enterprises TM, Naut’Yll, New Navy TM, New Sovietskiy TM, NGR TM, Nog Heng TM, Northern Gun TM, Phase World TM, Psyscape TM, Rifter TM, SAMAS TM, S.D.C. TM, Shemarrian TM, Splugorth TM, Stormspire TM, Sunaj TM, Tolkeen TM, Triax TM, Wellington Industries TM, Wilk’s Laser Technologies TM, Xiticix TM, and Zaayr TM are trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Beyond the Supernatural®, Heroes Unlimited®, Nightbane®, Ninjas & Superspies®, Palladium Fantasy®, and Rifts® are registered trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
Writeup by Kitsune (E-Mail Kitsune).
Copyright © 2001, Kitsune. All rights reserved.