Shifting Staff (Transformable Weapons):
It is believed that the magicks to create these items was originally developed by the Dwarves many Millenniums before. Only a handful of Alchemists know how to make these magic items and they are in high demand. Many adventurers like the idea of having a walking stick which can transform into a useful weapon and a variety of different tools. These are especially liked by rangers and other wilderness travelers. Thieves also like the staff because of their use in their jobs.
Unlike many magic items, many of the staves are quite plain and look like a simple short staff you might expect anyone to carry. There have been some highly decorative staves made for nobles who do not wish to look out of character but they are rare.
The Shifting Staff normally looks like a normally short (4 foot) walking staff but is useful for a great many things. It is enchanted to be indestructible and has a close affinity to normal magic weapons but is far more flexible. Using a variety of commands, the item can transform into a variety of different items, some of them tools and others being weapons. The command words are normally the name of the tool / weapon which the wielder wishes the staff to transform into and the wielder must hold the staff tight in both hands while commanding the staff. The short staff can be commanded to extend to being a quarter staff. The weapon can also be commanded to transform into a one handed battle axe or a two handed pole axe. It can also be commanded to transform into a shovel for digging. The staff can also be commanded to transform into having a metal pry bar at the end. The staff can also be commanded into becoming a ten or twenty foot pole. When a pole, three hook for climbing can be activated for climbing and bars can be extended from the sides for easy climbing. The staff has ten changes per day. Transformation to a weapon (Quarterstaff, Battle Axe, or Pole Axe) cost two charges each transformation and transformation to a tool (Shovel, Pry Tool, or Long Pole) costs one charge. Staff requires an additional charge to extend hook and climbing bars. The item can always transform back to that of a short staff without using a charge.
- Special Abilities:
- Transform to Quarterstaff: When commanded, staff lengthens to 6 feet (1.8 meters) and becomes a weapon suitable for use as a two handed weapon. Damage: 2D6+4 Bonuses: +1 to Parry and Strike
- Transform to Battle Axe: When commanded, staff shortens by about one foot to be about 3 feet (0.9 meters) long and a single battle axe blade extends from the side. Blade is eternally sharp. Damage: 3D6+5 Bonuses: +1 to Parry and Strike
- Transform to Pole Axe: When commanded, staff lengthens to 6 feet (1.8 meters) and and a single battle axe blade extends from the side. It is too large to be used except as a two handed weapon. Damage: 4D6+6 Bonuses: +2 to Parry.
- Transform to Shovel: When commanded, staff stays about the same length but a shovel blade extends form the top of the staff. The shovel is very sharp for a shovel and all digging is about 25% faster than normal. If can be used as a weapon but is not balanced as weapon. Damage: 1D6+2
- Transform to Pry Tool: When commanded, staff stays about the same length but a pry blade extends from the top of the staff. Suitable for most prying jobs. The tool can be used as a stabbing weapon similar to a spear but is not balanced for the role. Damage: 1D6+3
- Transform to Long Pole: When commanded, can transform into either a ten foot (3 meter) or twenty foot pole (6.1 meter) pole. Useful for a variety of different jobs. The twenty foot pole is too long to use as a weapon but the ten foot pole is short enough. It is not as well suited as the quarterstaff. Damage: 2D6+2
- Extend Hook & Climbing Bars: When the staff is extended into either a ten foot or twenty foot pole, the pole can be commanded to extend three hooks to assist with climbing. The staff can also be commanded to extend climbing bars every foot to make climbing the pole easier.
- The magic item is indestructible and the blade of all weapons is eternally
sharp. As a short staff, it is about 4 feet (1.2 meters) long. Damage:
1D6+2 Bonuses: +1 to Parry and Strike
[ Baalgor Wastelands TM, Barraduk TM, Caer Itom TM, Caer Kurgas TM, Charun the Cruel TM, Church of Light and Dark TM, Cirga TM, Dragonwright TM, Eastern Territories TM, Floenry TM, Great Northern Wilderness TM, Heim TM, Hoknar TM, House Elial TM, House Kaze TM, Kighfalton TM, Kirgi TM, Kisenite TM, Kormath TM, Kym-nark-mar TM, Land of the South Winds TM, Lemaria TM, Lista TM, Llorn TM, Lopan TM, Lopnel TM, Mantus TM, M.D.C. TM, Mega-Damage TM, Odguard TM, Old Kingdom TM, Ophid’s Grasslands TM, Panath TM, Phi TM, Ratling TM, Rifter TM, Rurga TM, S.D.C. TM, Styphon TM, Tark TM, Timiro Kingdom TM, Utu TM, Vald-Tegor TM, Vequerrel Woodlands TM, Western Empire TM, Wolfen TM, Yin-Sloth Jungles TM, Yin-Sloth Periphery TM, and Zandragal TM are trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Beyond the Supernatural®, Heroes Unlimited®, Nightbane®, Ninjas & Superspies®, Palladium Fantasy®, and Rifts® are registered trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
Writeup by Kitsune (E-Mail Kitsune).
Copyright © 2003, Kitsune. All rights reserved.