Mantle of the Specter (Enchanted Cloak):
Only a handful of these enchanted robes have even been created and the maker is unknown. Some suggest that the mantles were created by a god with various priests claiming that their deity created the enchanted robe. Few even among the gods appear to have the skills to create such an item. The god of knowledge, Thoth, is the most likely candidate. Kym-nark-mar might have the skills but it is doubtful that he would create such an item. An evil deity is far more likely. There is some talk that a demon lord might have created the items as well. Some scholars suggest an extremely skilled alchemist might have create it as well including possibly an ancient Lizard Mage or Dragon.
There are believed to be a about a half dozen of these robes remaining with a total of thirteen having been originally created. Not indestructible, it is believed that seven have been destroyed over the ages. They are believed to at least be several hundred years old but there are no good records on their appearance. These robes are extremely popular with dark wizards, dark priests, witches, and necromancers. While they are not truly evil, their abilities seem to attract those who are evil. Those who wish to acquire these items are known to go to almost any length to get one, spend a fortune, murder, or steal one.
In appearance, these mantles appear to be plain black robes which are worn to cover the whole body and have long sleeves. Most wearers wear gloves to conceal their hands as well. Even though appearing to be made from thick wool, the mantles are extremely comfortable. The robes have a hood which covers the entire face. Magically created darkness hides the face of the wearer completely with only a glowing set of red lights, vaguely eye shaped, where the eyes should be. It can be quite disconcerting to look at the glowing eyes. Still, the wearer can see perfectly.
In addition to the magic concealing the face, these robes have a number of additional powers. The robes act as armor which slowly regenerate itself. The robes give protection equal to that of chain mail although it is far harder to destroy one of these suits than a suit of chain mail. If destroyed, these robes will not regenerate. The mantle will also protect the wearer from heat and cold, rain and sun. As well, the robes appear to cause the wearer to blend in shadows similar to a normal cloak of the shadows. These are more are less standard enchantments. The most interesting enchantment is that the wearer may become intangible for up to thirty minutes up to twice per day.
- A.R. Rating: 14 S.D.C.: 250
- Environmental: This enchanted on the robe is very similar in nature to the "Environmental Tent." The magical feature will protect the wearer from most weather and keep a comfortable temperature of around 70 degrees Fahrenheit (21 degrees Celsius). It protects from both heat and cold, making them popular in northern areas, jungles, and deserts. While the robe will protect the wearer from rain, it will not protect the person from getting wet if they are immersed in water such as from crossing a river or from getting caught in flooding water. It will still keep the wearer at a comfortable temperature and when the person is no longer immersed, all water soaked into the robe (but not other garments) will be repelled to the outside of the robe and drip off. The robe will not provide protection from drowning or from gas attacks. This feature is only available on full suits. The robe usually do not clean themselves but can be designed to repel dirt and to magically stay clean.
- Intangibility: Very unusual enchantment that give the wearer the ability to become intangible or be unaffected by most normal attacks. While intangible, the wearer is only affected by magical and psionic attacks. Cannot touch or pick up any objects while intangible but can speak and hear normally. Wearer can pass through solid objects without effect. The wearer cannot glide; however, the character takes no damage from falls or explosions. Wearer can sink into the earth and can walk on smoke and water. Unlike the super ability, cannot be activated and deactivated at a thought. Duration: 30 minutes (Can be activated twice per day)
- Regenerating Armor (Lesser): More common that the greater enchantment to regenerate armor but regenerates damage at a slower rate. Damage is restored at the rate of 4D6 S.D.C. per day (or 1D6 S.D.C. every 6 hours.) Like the more powerful version of this enchantment, if the robe is destroyed, the enchantment is broken and the robe is useless scrap. This enchantment is more commonly known that the greater enchantment and is known outside of the Western Empire.
- Shadow Stalking: The wearer is difficult to see in shadows, but even in lighted areas the character moves silently and unobtrusively like a shadow; +20% to prowl.
[ Baalgor Wastelands TM, Barraduk TM, Caer Itom TM, Caer Kurgas TM, Charun the Cruel TM, Church of Light and Dark TM, Cirga TM, Dragonwright TM, Eastern Territories TM, Floenry TM, Great Northern Wilderness TM, Heim TM, Hoknar TM, House Elial TM, House Kaze TM, Kighfalton TM, Kirgi TM, Kisenite TM, Kormath TM, Kym-nark-mar TM, Land of the South Winds TM, Lemaria TM, Lista TM, Llorn TM, Lopan TM, Lopnel TM, Mantus TM, M.D.C. TM, Mega-Damage TM, Odguard TM, Old Kingdom TM, Ophid’s Grasslands TM, Panath TM, Phi TM, Ratling TM, Rifter TM, Rurga TM, S.D.C. TM, Styphon TM, Tark TM, Timiro Kingdom TM, Utu TM, Vald-Tegor TM, Vequerrel Woodlands TM, Western Empire TM, Wolfen TM, Yin-Sloth Jungles TM, Yin-Sloth Periphery TM, and Zandragal TM are trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Beyond the Supernatural®, Heroes Unlimited®, Nightbane®, Ninjas & Superspies®, Palladium Fantasy®, and Rifts® are registered trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
Writeup by Kitsune (E-Mail Kitsune).
Copyright © 2007, Kitsune. All rights reserved.