Gauntlet of the Valkyrie (Enchanted Weapon):
Owned originally by a beautiful Viking warrior maiden, this enchanted weapon only works for women. The weapon can be dated to around 900 CE and there are several stories about the item's creation. Some stories indicate that her father was a powerful wizard and that he made it for her. Other stories tell that the weapon was made by the dwarves of Asgard at the request of the god Odin. Several stories further expand the story indicating the Odin requested the weapon because he was in love with her. Stories also tell tales of the wielder fighting magnificent battles against monsters and servants of evils. The tales of the original owner of the Gauntlet inspired a generation of female Vikings to follow the ways of the warrior maiden.
In the Gauntlets un-activated form, it appears to be a wide iron bracelet. The bracelet is wider than most and covers about half of the forearm of the wearer. The bracelet is a dull grey and is covered by old Norse runes. Located on the outside of the bracer, there is a highly detailed design of a Valkyrie riding a Pegasus at the center piece. The bracer shows no signs of any wear.
When the Gauntlet is activated, the bracelet transforms into a plate mail gauntlet. The gauntlet is lightweight and allows full movement in that hand. It is more like wearing a set of light gloves than actually wearing a grey metal gauntlet. The gauntlet is covered in runes with the same design of the Valkyrie riding a Pegasus on the outside of the gauntlets. When the gauntlet is activated, the wearer will become several inches taller and look tougher and stronger. Physical features are basically the same but the wearer becomes an ideal version of themselves. The wearer can project a short sword blade that is razor sharp from the top of the gauntlet. The blade is thin but razor sharp and has a wicked point. The grey iron blade is covered in Norse runes like the gauntlet. While the gauntlet can be hidden in long sleeves, there is no way the sword can be hidden in the same way. Finally, the wearer can summon a suit of armor. The armor looks like a plate and chain version of the armor worn in most pictures of Valkyries. The armors style is partially dependent on the wearer’s personality and imagination. The armor is virtually weightless and is noiseless. The armor does not restrict the wearer’s movement and can move around as if they are wearing ballet gear not full armor.
Besides the sword and the armor, the wearer is given several other special abilities by the gauntlet. The persons speed and strength is increased along with a variety of other special abilities. All abilities only work when the gauntlet is active. Remarkable stories indicate that the wearer has been able to dodge or parry virtually anything fired at them including bullets and energy blasts. The women’s reflexes are increased to the super human levels along with a sense similar to what might be termed radar. Many opponents have been freaked out when they saw the wearer parry an arrow or a bullet with the gauntlet or the short sword. The wearer’s strength is also increased to superhuman levels. There are stories of the wearer lifting and throwing large boulders. Another power is the ability to walk through fire without any damage. The wearer has been known to run into burning buildings to rescue someone and coming back out without any burns. The wearer has a limited ability to fly and when the wearer flies, ghost-like wings appear on the back. The wearer of the gauntlet can chose to become invisible. This can be very useful when an attempt is made to surprise an opponent. The final ability is that the wearer can heal both themselves and others by touch.
Once the bracer is placed on the arm, it will shrink to fit the arm. The only way to remove the bracer is to cut off the wielder's armor or by their death. The bracer will not work for those with super abilities, psychic abilities, are supernatural, or are wizards themselves. The bracelet will only work for normal mortals. The bracelet does seem to prefer to find its way to the hands of what could be considered the descendants of warrior maidens. Popular choices include female soldiers and police officers. Once the women puts on the gauntlet, she will start having dreams about the original owner of the gauntlet. From these dreams, the present wielder will learn how the use the abilities of the gauntlet. The gauntlet does not use verbal commands like many enchanted weapons but is instead mentally commanded. Often the weapon will be needed before the wearer has a chance to fully learn how to use the gauntlet. In this case, simple stress will cause the weapon to manifest but the bearer will not have full control. A good example of this is that the women wearing the gauntlet being unable to manifest the armor or extend the sword. The reverse situation can also be a problem. The person may be unable to go back to their normal form. Eventually the bearer of the gauntlet will be able to master it but it might take several months to master.
- Indestructible: Weapon cannot be broken and never dulls. Gauntlet and sword can be used to parry energy blasts and projectiles at full bonuses. Gauntlet is indestructible in all forms include bracelet form.
- Well Balanced and Lightweight: Weapon has a +2 to Initiative, +1 to Parry, and +1 to Strike.
- Weapon Damage: Inflicts 2D6+6 as a gauntlet and 6D6+6 using the short sword extended. Does not include any strength bonuses. Inflicts S.D.C in S.D.C. Worlds and does M.D.C. in M.D.C. Worlds such as Rifts. Weapon inflicts full damage against all supernatural and magical creatures. Weapon will also damage super beings who are invulnerable.
- Adds 60 S.D.C.
- Gives resistance to cold. Cold only inflict half damage.
- Gives a +3 bonus to saving throws against spells and enchantments.
- Wearer of Gauntlet can see the invisible
- Wearer of Gauntlet grows 6 inches taller, appears stronger, and Physical Beauty increases by six points.
- Wearer of Gauntlet can create battle armor at will. Battle armor appears to be a stylized plate and chain mail version of Valkyrie armor. Armor will protect against energy blasts and modern projectiles. Armor is not restricting, weightless, and noiseless. Armor has an A.R. of 15 and 100 S.D.C. in S.D.C. environments such as Heroes Unlimited and Palladium Fantasy. Armor has an M.D.C. of 100 in M.D.C. environments such as rifts. Armor will appear new each time it is summoned.
- Super Abilities:
- Extraordinary Physical Prowess:
- A greatly heightened physical prowess providing increased speed and
- Add 6 to the P.P. attribute
Add 10 to the Speed attribute
Add One Attack per Melee
Automatic Dodge with a bonus of +3 (+additional Bonuses)
Add +10% to all physical skills requiring Dexterity
- She sends out high-frequency radio waves that bounce off objects, returning
and indicating the direction and distance of the reflecting object. Range
is 400 feet (122 meters) plus 100 feet (30.5 meters) per level. This power
gives a crude for of see in the dark ability, enabling her to know/sense
the locations of objects and Movements.
- Interpreting Shapes: 50%+5% per Level
Estimating Distance: 60%+4% per Level
Estimating Direction: 60%+4% per Level
Estimating Speed: 40%+4% per Level
Estimating Exact Location: 40%+4% per Level
- Add +2 to Parry/Dodge
Add +4 to Initiative
Add +2 to Strike
Add One Attack per Melee
Cannot see through any object, including glass, wood, paper, or people with Radar. Cannot be used in rain, snow, dust storms, and sandstorms, Smoke also fouls radar giving -30% to all abilities and bonuses are cut in half.
- Healing Touch: Restores 3D6 Hit Points or S.D.C. by touching the weapon to the person who needs healing. Healing touches will work on the wearer as well as others. Healing touch can be done up to 10 times per day (24 hours)
- Damage Bonus: +6 damage is added to the weapons damage (already added into weapon damage)
- Turns itself and wielder Invisible: The ability is identical to the Wizard spell Invisibility: Superior.
- Impervious to Fire: The wearer of the gauntlet and all of her equipment is Impervious to Fire including magical fire
- Fly: The bearer of the gauntlet can fly. Ghost like wings appear when the wearer uses the flight power. Maximum speed 50 mph (80 kph) and gives no special bonuses to strike, parry, or dodge.
- Superhuman Strength: Weapon increases strength equal to the minor super ability of Superhuman Strength. Wearer has +25 to their strength and can carry 200 times their strength and can lift 300 times their strength in pounds. The women also fatigues at half the rate of normal humans.
Powers and Bonuses (Only work when Gauntlet is active):
- This item should be treated as the standard Heroes Unlimited Enchanted
Object and should be treated as a rune weapon in most respects. A Player
Character should start at first level as the Enchanted Weapon character
type. If the weapon is considered to be too powerful by the game master,
there are several adjustments that can be made to make the magic item less
- Remove several Abilities: The abilities of "Turn itself and wielder Invisible", "Impervious to Fire", and "Fly" can be removed without changing the concepts of the item itself.
- Reduce Strength: "Superhuman Strength" can be reduced to "Extraordinary Physical Strength" with a strength of 25 or a bonus of 11 to strength if already greater than a strength of 20.
- Summoning of Armor: The ability to summon the armor can be restricted to once per day per level of experience. This prevents a wearer from simply dismissing and then re-summoning the armor every time that it gets badly damaged.
- Abilities are received at a level progression: At times of
need, other abilities could be activated under the control of the game
master not the player.
- At First Level, the wearer will have all abilities that require
no concentration. These include the physical increases, weapon will have
the damage bonus, and the super abilities of Extra-Ordinary Physical Prowess,
Radar Sense, and Super Human Strength. Wearer will only be able to use
the item as a Gauntlet.
At Second Level, the wearer will be able to summon the blade from the Gauntlet.
At Third Level, the wearer will be able to summon the magical armor.
At Fourth Level, the wearer will be able to use the healing abilities.
At Fifth Level and Above, the wearer will be able to select one additional ability from the remaining powers until they are all selected.
[ Fabricators Inc. TM, Flexi-Steel TM, Justice Team TM, Kisenite TM, Mega-Damage TM, Rifter TM, S.D.C. TM, and Sentinels of Liberty TM are trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
[ Beyond the Supernatural®, Heroes Unlimited®, Nightbane®, Ninjas & Superspies®, Palladium Fantasy®, and Rifts® are registered trademarks owned by Kevin Siembieda and Palladium Books Inc. ]
Gauntlet of the Valkyrie is inspired by the comic book series and television series of Witchblade.
Writeup by Kitsune (E-Mail Kitsune).
Copyright © 2002, Kitsune. All rights reserved.